What Turbo

Hi mate,

Based on your last couple of posts about remaps etc, have you made a definite decision on what route

you're going?

Again, have a look at Andy Forrest's site and the guide there.

You should have a TD04 in your car but like Dunk said, it depends on what you're after.

I think you've mention about 300 horses? A lot of folk have put in a VF34/35 to get more than that

out of a WRX.

If you also search 'turbo' there will probably be loads of stuff that'll pop up

:thumbup:

If it is a 2.0 WRX then reckon there's about 4 to choose from.

Think it was Cal that put a TD04 hybrid on his Bug with supporting mods and had around the 300 mark.Quite an old thread now but worth trying to dig up.

A lot of folks, like Ritchie, go with the turbo from an STi. Believe the VF34 and VF35 are very similar in ability but seems the VF34 is that tiny bit more preferred for tad earlier spool??, but is harder to come by and usually costs bit more. The VF35 is still a very good option and likely be mine if ever get the cash together for that and other bits required to reach between 330 and 340.

There is also a TD05-16g. Not as commonly found but think is okay.

If you go up the TD05 range, to say the 20g, heading towards high 300s bhp I think you are risking your WRX (not STi) gearbox.

its a 2.0 turbo

just trying to price what i need turbo intercooler injectors etc etc

thanks all

maxy ;)

I got my VF34 for £400 (from a well shady forum member :D ). You can try ebay but it won't be a trusted

source.

Walbro 255l/hr fuel pump is about £70

Check to see if you need to uprate your panel filter

550cc injectors (also called pinks) - I got mine 2nd hand for a a good price

NGK PFR 7B uprated spark plugs - think I found a set on ebay for about £50

Uprated turbo to intercooler 'Y' pipe - if you get hold of an STI top mount intercooler, get one with the Y pipe.

You won't see any gains from the intercooler but it helps as a safety feature.

I got my VF34 for £400 (from a well shady forum member ;) ). You can try ebay but it won't be a trusted

source.

Walbro 255l/hr fuel pump is about £70

Check to see if you need to uprate your panel filter

550cc injectors (also called pinks) - I got mine 2nd hand for a a good price

NGK PFR 7B uprated spark plugs - think I found a set on ebay for about £50Uprated turbo to intercooler 'Y' pipe - if you get hold of an STI top mount intercooler, get one with the Y pipe.

You won't see any gains from the intercooler but it helps as a safety feature.

I have a set of these in the box somewhere, unused obviously. Cost around £43 from Pentland Components I think it is in Edinburgh. I will be selling them for £30 once I find them! :D

if i chamged the turbo would i have to change the intercooler aswell or could i get away with the standard one

is there much work in changing the turbo or is it a straight swap

:blush:

it depends on which turbo you install and what power you intend on running. I see from other threads that you have newage car and a friend of mine was running 382bhp with a td05 20g without problems on the standard TMIC on an 04 wrx.

changing the turbos is not a technically complex job but is quite fiddly and easy to shear bolts!

A 16G will take you to around just over 300 ish BHP on V power which seems a small gain for the expense when compared to the 280/290 you can easily achieve on the standard TD04 with simple exhaust mods and a remap. It would be silly to remap the car without at the very least removing the restrictive cat in the WRX uppipe and preferably fitting a sports cat and centre decat. By changing the exhaust components and fitting a panel filter, if you want, and then getting Andy F to remap it you will see around 280bhp which makes the car a totally different machine and infinaitely more fun for little expense and hassle.

think i will go for a TD05 16G

Hi Maxy - If you are still interested in a 16g, I am mapping a car this weekend which has just been upgraded from a 16g to a 20g. I have seen the unit off the car and it is in good condition and the car ran well with it on. Drop me a PM if you are interested and I will let the owner know. I would agree that decatting the up pipe would be a wise move if upgrading the turbo (I recall you already have a decat TBE). However if you are running oem 380cc wrx injectors they will run out of headroom with this turbo and I would recommend upgrading to 550s or having yours professionally modified to increase capacity (Mark at lateral can do this for you)

Cheers

Alistair

My WRX runs a TD05 18G with a large top mount. The standard injectors had to be changed for 550cc pinks, even fitting a fuel pressure regulator it wasn't enough for the standard one's. The 550cc work great though.

The 16g will be a nice comprimise as i have found the 18g hard on the gearbox. Still running mine in but i will eventually change to the md321t.

Another consideration is clutch choice. I run an exedy hyper single and it does for my mods but no more power. I should have done the twin plate.