Winter / Cold Weather Tyres

Hi guys

Had a couple of 'moments' running on my summer tyres recently and thought I should probably invest in some winter tyres and spare alloys (will give me a chance to give the gold alloys a good clean if nothing else :) ). I can pick up the alloys easily enough (not after anything fancy), but not sure what to get tyre-wise. Thinking Bridgestone Blizzak or Toyo Snowprox, both about £95 a corner from mytyres.co.uk. Anyone used these before or have any other suggestions of either brand (to fit 16" rims) or where to buy?

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by denners

I have Pirelli Sottozeros at the moment and have been very impressed by them. Very quiet and great feel from them in all conditions!

Have previously driven Vredstein Wintrac's, Michelin Pilot Alpin's and Dunlop Winter Sport's. Vredsteins were excellent on a classic & RB5, wasn't overly impressed with the Michelin's on the 03 STi, Dunlops were a big improvement over the Michelin's.

my 4th winter on toyo snowprox - good in the wet / cold / snow / ice but they won't work miracles at shifting slush :)

not sure what the supply situation is with these as Camskill have them all flagged as no stock until October 2010 - if anywhere else claims to have them, check they are actually on site before you part with cash. Also makes me wonder if any left are old stock?

Would probably look to replace mine next winter with the same, although some good comments seem to be out there for the Nokian WR G2.

Bring on the heavy stuff - just got myself some of these puppies http://www.snowchains.co.uk/main/quattro.htm

Bring on the heavy stuff - just got myself some of these puppies http://www.snowchains.co.uk/main/quattro.htm

Holy Mother of **** !!! They look evil!

Has anyone had any experience with snow socks?

http://www.activeoutdoors.info/activeoutdoors/Article91.html

Heard about them a few years ago but never known anyone that's used them..

Was goign to buy a set of winter tyres last year never had the cash spare.. Will have do somethign about that this year.. Got a spare set of wheels I can use now.. Any idea on the price of the tyres mentioned above? Lookign online prices look to be aroudn £160 a corner on 17" :)

Has anyone had any experience with snow socks?

http://www.activeoutdoors.info/activeoutdoors/Article91.html

Heard about them a few years ago but never known anyone that's used them..

I have a set in my boot as its a legal requirement to carry chains on many of the mountain roads round here but up to now have never had to use them. In fact, in 10 years of living at the foot of the Alps, AWD and winter tyres have always been more than enough despite often heading up mountain passes to ski resorts in very heavy snow storms. So the various sets of chains and socks I've had over the years have generally been as much of a waste of money as the first aid kit and warning triangle I also have to carry!

By all accounts, the older socks weren't up to much, but the latest generation are meant to be pretty good. They'll never be as good as a set of chains, but they're close enough to be worth while, and with lowered suspension and alloy wheels, they are much more friendly to your rims and body work than conventional chains. There are several brands of sock out there now, I have "Autosock", which are TÜV approved in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, which means they are accepted as a substitute for chains so that sorts out my legal obligation!

If I ever actually have to use them, then I'll give you an update to their usefulness, however don't hold you're breath, it could well be another 10 years without needing them! IMHO, winter tyres are all you need! :)

If I ever actually have to use them, then I'll give you an update to their usefulness, however don't hold you're breath, it could well be another 10 years without needing them! IMHO, winter tyres are all you need! :lol:

He hee.. Heres to the next 10 years ;)

Ok.. Will stick with aiming for a set of decent winter tyres rather than socks. Sounds like you give them a decent enough test :)

... Got the unused first aid kit and wardning triangle too.. YOu never know..

After thinking about this for the last 3 years, I finally decided to go for a set of winter tyres and managed to get a set of Toyo Snowprox 950s, from Ronnie at Wheels Around, just before Christmas. I have been very pleased with them so far, particularly in snow and slush, as they make the car feel much more sure-footed. They have kept me moving (and stopping) when lots of others have just been slipping and sliding around. I think that the 950s have probably been replaced by the 952s, but they were available in stock locally and have been of the car when I actually needed them most. They are also V rated, rather than the more normal H rating of most other winter tyres that I have seen.

They do feel very different in the dry, presumably as a consequence of the tread blocks moving around more, particularly when pressing on a bit, and you also feel the car squirming around a bit under hard acceleration. However, this is something I am happy to accept and live with in order to benefit from their increased capability in cold weather generally and particularly in adverse conditions.

All in all, I am glad I went for them and my only regret is that I did't do it sooner, saving more of the tread on my RE070s for summer use!

Ian

After thinking about this for the last 3 years, I finally decided to go for a set of winter tyres and managed to get a set of Toyo Snowprox 950s, from Ronnie at Wheels Around, just before Christmas. I have been very pleased with them so far, particularly in snow and slush, as they make the car feel much more sure-footed. They have kept me moving (and stopping) when lots of others have just been slipping and sliding around. I think that the 950s have probably been replaced by the 952s, but they were available in stock locally and have been of the car when I actually needed them most. They are also V rated, rather than the more normal H rating of most other winter tyres that I have seen.

They do feel very different in the dry, presumably as a consequence of the tread blocks moving around more, particularly when pressing on a bit, and you also feel the car squirming around a bit under hard acceleration. However, this is something I am happy to accept and live with in order to benefit from their increased capability in cold weather generally and particularly in adverse conditions.

All in all, I am glad I went for them and my only regret is that I did't do it sooner, saving more of the tread on my RE070s for summer use!

Ian

Thanks for the advice - looks like I'm getting Snowprox if I can get hold of them, or Nokian WS G2 if not... Incidentally, I will also be needing something to put them on - if anyone has some old 16"/17" alloys kicking about there is a thread in Items Wanted or send me a PM!

Thanks again,

Matt

Thanks for the advice - looks like I'm getting Snowprox if I can get hold of them, or Nokian WS G2 if not... Incidentally, I will also be needing something to put them on - if anyone has some old 16"/17" alloys kicking about there is a thread in Items Wanted or send me a PM!

Thanks again,

Matt

I run Nokian WRs and run out of ground clearance long before there is any requirement for chains, highly recommended. I got the tyres from mytyres and had them fitted by the ever reliable JD tyres in Cumbernauld Village.

Once you've had a set of winter tyres you never go back :)

Edited by Robertio
..but they're a summer tyre! The V tread really helps with wet weather, but when it gets cold they're no better than any other summer tyre!

Yea I know what you are saying but most english winters are just very wet. I think they would be a good all round choice as reasonable grip levels in wet or dry conditions, so they should be ideal if you only have one set of wheels

Yea I know what you are saying but most english winters are just very wet. I think they would be a good all round choice as reasonable grip levels in wet or dry conditions, so they should be ideal if you only have one set of wheels

Scottish winters on the other hand are wet and cold :)

I take your point though - I run Goodyear eagle F1 tyres which are fantastic on (warm) wet roads. Apparently they are not as good as others in the dry, but since I leave on the west coast of Scotland I've never been able to verify that.....

Scottish winters on the other hand are wet and cold :lol:

I take your point though - I run Goodyear eagle F1 tyres which are fantastic on (warm) wet roads. Apparently they are not as good as others in the dry, but since I leave on the west coast of Scotland I've never been able to verify that.....

What kind of prices are people paying for 17" winter tyres?

Brian :)

I used to use Michelan Pilot Alpins, and was happy enough with them, I haven't bothered the last 2 years though to be honest and I've just stuck with my Eagle F1s, and I've been fine, even in the worst snow... although the alpins are a marked improvement...

If you have a Costco card, or access to one you'll normally find that Costco will give a discount when you get a set of 4 fitted... a decent wedge off as I recoil...