Wrap Up Warm, Don't Do What I Did Yesterday :(

as mentiond in technical my engine gave up on way to work at 8am, sat there over an hour waiting for AA, with just a fleece on B) by the time we got the car to a garage, and i got a lift to work it was 2 1/2 hours, i then out the blue went in to a state, uncontrollable shivering /shaking, blindness, couldn't talk, couldn't walk, couldn't pour myself a hot drink properly, and very very sleepy, i actualy drifted of a few times. i got to the point where i stopped shaking, my legs,hips,shins were in so much pain,... my face had swollen, and turned blue.....this i didn't realise was entering the third stage of hypothermia, ..... i managed to phone my other half, told her what was going on, tried eating to get some energy, come round a bit and then i managed to get in to the site truck and carfully drove home, warned her that i'm needing to get straight in to a hot bed, ...... done so and laid there for 6 hours before i had the energy to get up, still feel woosey, like i've had a few pints,

i never feel the cold, worked in it for 20years........ this totaly changed my attitude about not being prepared,.

BE PREPARED!!!!..... THIS ONLY TWO AND A HALF HOURS IN THE COLD, ALL BE IT BELOW FREEZING ADMITTINGLY.

VERY SCAREY.......VERY LUCKY.

MARK.

cheers boys, i really didn't realise how easy it is to go down that quick, leason learnt, may just pop in to doctors tomorrow to make sure, i've got to see about my hernia anyway....bloody hurting .. feel a bit lost without me car :P.....got a battered ford ranger from work,

just noticed.... -4 laying in the snow... B) ... and touching metal lol..... ouch :(

Edited by insane clown

Worth keeping a few bits in the boot in case of this type of emergency i have a waterproof but more so windproof jacket as its the windchill you need to keep a eye on. Also a shovel might be a good idea and possibly some food like mars bars only a idea tho ! We lost a guy from Swindon in the first Gulf war on the bravo 2 zero mission to hypothermia and special forces guys have died on the Brecons so you can't be to careful.

Bloody Ell Mate - you experienced some worrying symptoms there (especially the blue discolouration).... aka cyanosis and the drifting in/out..... lucky boy.... when treating hypothermia it can be dangerous to try warm someone up too quickly - aim for half a degree each hour using warm drinks and a space blanket. You do right to get a quick check out from the doctor on Monday though it seems your definitely over the worst of it.

It makes sense to have an emergency pack in the car just in case.

RGN 20yrs.