Type R

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sound Deadning - Heat gun and scraper/chisel. Once worst is off use petrol to clean residue off.

Harnesses - We have K Sport in both our track cars. As good as the SABELT harnesses they replaced (out of FIA date) to be honest. 3" 6pt

You going to seam weld the chassis when its in bits like this?

The sound deadening has been removed and I have bought some UPVC cleaner to remove the residue.

I havn't read much into seam welding. I take it this is to stiffen the chassis even more? Your right, now is the time to get it done.

Rich

Spent a bit of time on the car yesterday and this morning.

Cleaned out all of the sound deadening residue, glue and crap. I seen a thread on snet where some1 said they used UPVC cleaner to remove the stuff, b******s!!!! Needed some heavy duty mak yer heed buzz stuff to remove it.

Then this morning I took some pics outside the workshop as I need the pics to send off to Custom Cages in order to get their approval and to get an MSA certificate.

I then moved the wiring loom and started taping things up in preparation for the painter.

Photo0044.jpg

Photo0056.jpg

Photo0055.jpg

Photo0057.jpg

Photo0058.jpg

Photo0060.jpg

Photo0062.jpg

Photo0064.jpg

Rich

Did you look into doing the Seam Welding Rich? I'm guessing your not if your prepping for the painters... as it would put a fair chunk of extra time on the project I'd have thought...

I did find out a little about it but I'm not going to bother.

I understand that to do it right the car needs to be stripped and go on a jig and every seam has to be done to strengthen the whole chassis. This is a bit extreme for what I am building at the moment. The cage alone will strengthen the car...to an extent anyway.

Cheers for the comments lads. Davie I hope you get that airfield plans sorted out :)

Rich

It's coming along rich keep up the good effort mate, I was too lazy and out the country most of the year, to do it myself I paid some one to do mines so hat off to you and any one that trys to strip they will understand the work involved, cannott talk with expeirence however my ears are bleeding with the lads that done it lol...keep the pics coming ..whats the next stage..

Chris

Edited by braveheart
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm on the verge of DIY adam tbh coz I just want it finished now.

I have already masked up and moved the wiring loom out the road and masked up some other bits inside the car.

Would I need to prepare the bdkwork or cage before spraying it or is it justa case of making sure its clean?

Couple of coats of primer then a final coat? I'm going white for interior.

I do plan to go to as many track days this year that I can manage. My shift rota is about to change and the Trackscotland dates arent the best for me...typical :lol: (I'm sure i can make some swaps though :lol: )

Rich

• 1 month later...

my god!!! its real and it lives!!!! ;)

was it scared at feeling tarmac under its wheels again min? :)

shes looking grand, bagsy a pax, though i dont fancy your eardrums by the time we get to ullapool....

think discs would be eiher godspeed or AS performance