Flooded Engine

Quick query for you folks.

I managed to flood my engine the other day due to problems with the map sensor + the bigger injectors fitter prior to remap. The map sensor was sending a duff signal back to the apexi so the car wouldnt idle unless revved, after a few attempts I gave up, dried out the map sensor but it led to the engine getting flooded.

Today I have removed the spark plugs and tomorrow I will be fitting new ones and doing an oil change.

My query is though, how can I be sure to remove any excess petrol in the cylinders. No petrol came out the spark plug holes but the plugs were damp. Can I turn the in any way to be sure the excess fuel is out of the cylinders or shall I just leave the holes open until tomorrow? Any excess fuel in there might just evaporate out or would it?

Remap on tuesday so this can has got be be running by then ;)

Cheers

Rich

Edited by Cullenmin

I done this recently with the RA, John and i used 12 litres of pertol idling the car over very short periods while trying to sort an issue. I immeditaley changed the oil and filter with a cheap oil. Then ran the car for a few miles then changed the oil and filter again this time puting Motul back in. If like mine, the car was run without any load i.e idling, then the chances of any issues are vastly reduced. The smell of pertol was very strong in my oil which was nice considering it had done 0 miles since an oil change Motul 300v ouch :lol:

There is a risk with the extent I had that you can wash the bores and shells etc. No need to change the plugs etc just clean them up. ;)

There is no harm in turning the engine over with the plugs removed after changing the oil just to check there are no oil px issues but that would be unlikely.

Is changing the injectors to a larger size something you can do prior to mapping, or have you altered the duty of the larger injectors to suit? My thoughts were that if you replaced a 440cc injector with a 550cc injector for example ,the larger injector will still run on the 440cc injectors duty cycle, would this not cause your overfuelling/running issue?

Please let me know I am interested in this one ;)

Cheers Iain

Iain,

I got 850cc injectors fitted 3 weeks ago. This was an upgrade from 550cc injectors. The fuel pressure was turned down a few psi to allow the car to idle a lot better.

Car has only done 40 mile since then (perth to kirkcaldy) and has sat in my garage awaiting remap.

Obviously its overfuelling but the issue with my map sensor playing up has led it to flood.

I'll update how I get on tomorrow with new plugs, then its tweak the following day.

Rich

Today's update:

Got new spark plugs, oil + filter from AWD motorsport.

Fitted new plugs then reassembled and cleaned the filter, pipework, screen wash bottle etc.

Refitted my MAP sensor again and it was reading a vacuum pressure.

Started car and it fired up straight away ;) 30 seconds later the apexi displayed 4 dashes for the boost and consequently stalled the engine :D

So I really do have a faulty MAP sensor but I hope Mr Forrest will be able to sell me another one tomorrow.

Jonboywrx has shown the spirit of the SIDC and is going to lend me his MAP sensor so that I can get the car mapped. I pick it up tomorrow morning. Thank you Jon :huh:

I have also done the oil change so once I get the car running again I will check the level before I set off to Port Seton. The oil was stinking of fuel too.

So I'm almost there, fingers crossed for tomorrow :angry:

Rich

Edited by Cullenmin

And relax....

Thanks for all the comments. Car got mapped today, in the wet and its driving really well. Its got that kick back in it so I'm more than happy ;)

Thanks to Andy F for sorting my car out. The drive to edinburgh was done at 50mph and overfuelling like a bar steward.

The faulty map sensor is a subaru part so i will source a new one. Thanks Jon for lending me yours.

Car is in the for sale section :huh:

Rich

And relax....

Thanks for all the comments. Car got mapped today, in the wet and its driving really well. Its got that kick back in it so I'm more than happy ;)

Thanks to Andy F for sorting my car out. The drive to edinburgh was done at 50mph and overfuelling like a bar steward.

The faulty map sensor is a subaru part so i will source a new one. Thanks Jon for lending me yours.

Car is in the for sale section :huh:

Rich

No worries dude, happy to help.. just get it back to me when you get a new one sorted. I wont be going anywhere for a few days due to hub change!

Glad it went good for you pal

Catch ya soon