Classic 4-door 2-door Question

Deep in darkest Lanarkshire a 2-door Type-R is defying attempts to have a Sparco weld-in cage fitted. I am informed that the cage is fouling at the top of the B-pillar by a millimetre or so.

Is there any difference in the 4-door and 2-door classic shells ? (this one is a 97-98)

Has anyone else fitted a Sparco weld-in cage on a classic?

Your response is eagerly awaited. :wave:

Edited by zeolite
Deep in darkest Lanarkshire a 2-door Type-R is defying attempts to have a Sparco weld-in cage fitted. I am informed that the cage is fouling at the top of the B-pillar by a millimetre or so.

Is there any difference in the 4-door and 2-door classic shells ? (this one is a 97-98)

i dont know what the differences are Ian but there are some differences of sorts, thats why they have both a two door and four door version of roll cages, with the two door having longer doors than the four door i would expect the cage too sit further towards the rear in a type r

The only difference is where the b pilar goes which you've already figured out.

The cages are the same for 2dr and 4dr i think.... i hope

you sure? i thought with the Type R`s doors being slightly longer that the B pillar would be further back as well, if thats the case then the cage its self would sit further back as well

be intresting to find out the truth though, i think John Stevenson would be the man to clear it up as he`s just moved from a four door to a two door, lets hope he`s on later tonight :wave:

have a look at a safety devices cage (in a 4dr) at the B piller, its back a bit.

not sure on this cage make, but you can see in a 4dr it doesnt sit right at the B piller

SL270195.JPG

good point, unless its a type R cage being fitted to a four door?

i'm sure this is my cage Ian's on about LOL

see here.... i'm kinda harping on about the mounting area on the floor... they should be the same....

c9.jpg#

Just spoke to Fee too - the cage is universal for GC8 imprezas (4dr/2dr) (she ordered it)

this looks to be the same/similar cage in Dill's typeR

Image00087.jpg

Edited by TrackScotland

The mounting position on the floor is the same as the 4dr, the problem is arising from the fact that in the 2dr, the main hoop follows the B pillar, whereas obviously the 4dr doesn't, and where in the 2dr the B pillar meets the roof, there is extra strengthening that isn't there on the 4dr and thats what's causing the problem.

We can work round it if need be, just need to know 100% that this is definately the correct cage, as there should definately not be this problem.

The big problem is Adam is the fact it is THAT tight, if you try and force it, the roof will flex (because the B pillars are being pushed further outwards than they should be)

And because everything comes off this main hoop, that needs to be perfect before we move on from there.

I know DT have said that it will fit (and it will, with a little tweak here and there) but obviously it shouldn't need that.

ok, i get what the problem is now.

The main hoop seems to wide for the roof space.

I cant really give any help. Going by what we were told, it should fit both. I'm sure some big hammers, a grinder and some welding will sort it all out :)

Yeah Adam, it will, and Mick can get that done NP, but just wanted to make sure what we've got here was the right thing before we starting getting happy with the grinder! :D