P1 Tuning Options

Im looking for an exhaust for the P1. Ive been looking at the H+S group buy on Scoobynet. I like the jap angled backbox as its similar to the one i had on the Terzo (afterburner with burnt tip). Then i will get elite/meercat to mate a decat downpipe and centre section to it. What i need to know is what im better going for, 2.5 or 3 inch? Im not really bothered about horsepower chasing (famous last words). Id like a nice fast road car 300-350bhp, obviously i will be doing other upgrades to achieve this and get a remap with Ecutek, Simtek, Apexi, whats your thoughts on these, which is best etc? Best way to achieve this power on a P1? Car is totally standard at the moment.

Then id like to focus on brakes and suspension. It has the prodrive upgrade brakes which should be fine?? Then id like to concentrate on stiffening up the chassis with some whiteline goodies. Its no doubt the start of a slippery slope haha. My last scoob was a standard uk car, no engine mods, so its about time i got stuck in :thumbup:

Cheers

Dan

Im looking for an exhaust for the P1. Ive been looking at the H+S group buy on Scoobynet. I like the jap angled backbox as its similar to the one i had on the Terzo (afterburner with burnt tip). Then i will get elite/meercat to mate a decat downpipe and centre section to it. What i need to know is what im better going for, 2.5 or 3 inch? Im not really bothered about horsepower chasing (famous last words). Id like a nice fast road car 300-350bhp, obviously i will be doing other upgrades to achieve this and get a remap with Ecutek, Simtek, Apexi, whats your thoughts on these, which is best etc? Best way to achieve this power on a P1? Car is totally standard at the moment.

Then id like to focus on brakes and suspension. It has the prodrive upgrade brakes which should be fine?? Then id like to concentrate on stiffening up the chassis with some whiteline goodies. Its no doubt the start of a slippery slope haha. My last scoob was a standard uk car, no engine mods, so its about time i got stuck in :thumbup:

Cheers

Dan

I don't think you need a 3" exhaust unless your aiming for 400bhp

You would be fine with just an Ecutek ecu remap although Simtek's sound nice as they do away with the troublesome MAF plus you can have a launch control and anti lag added.

Im pretty much standard now MY99 RB5 and have booked mapping for May and am fitting

A VF23, FMIC, FPR (already have full 3" de-cat), 3 port boost solenoid.

I should hopefully make about 330BHP

I think your standard turbo is ok for this sort of power

Alcon 4 pots are fine

I have fitted BC coilovers, whiteline anti roll bars, anti lift kit and uprated drop links and it has helped the handling no end

Hope that helps

Ciaran

Thanks for the reply Ciaran. I just wondered if it really matters going for the 2.5 over the 3 inch with the power im after. Or would i be better off with the 3 inch incase i decide to go for more power later on (i doubt i would, but it saves buying twice if thats the case). Im sure there will be someone that has had both on there car

Thanks for the reply Ciaran. I just wondered if it really matters going for the 2.5 over the 3 inch with the power im after. Or would i be better off with the 3 inch incase i decide to go for more power later on (i doubt i would, but it saves buying twice if thats the case). Im sure there will be someone that has had both on there car

3" would future proof if you do go for bigger power. Decent decat system, K&N panel filter and remap will see you well on the way to 330bhp on a P1. A lot of people say the Alcons aren't geat compared to the Brembo's on new ages. Do the job at that level anyways

I have had both a 2.5" and 3" on my car. To be honest i think the 3" actually lost me torque but i de-catted at the same time so could have been that.

People recon a lowered powered car 350bhp and less drive better with a 2.5 rather than a 3 inch

Then id like to focus on brakes and suspension. It has the prodrive upgrade brakes which should be fine?? Then id like to concentrate on stiffening up the chassis with some whiteline goodies. Its no doubt the start of a slippery slope haha. My last scoob was a standard uk car, no engine mods, so its about time i got stuck in :)

Cheers

Dan

blitz nur spec r if you decide to buy off the shelf....if you are getting 1 made can recommend alan jeffrey(engine tuner)..bit far away so you would have to get it made and sent up, but the work and service are first class..... :thumbup:

scott

Thanks Scott will look into that.

This place is still a Subaru forum isnt it? Perhaps i should have posted up a bad picture :) Would have got a better response

You have posted up at a weekend though Dan, so less people are about on a weekend where the sun is out.

From what I have heard, you will only get a benefit from a 3" system if you have over 400bhp, and that a 2.5" system is better up till that point. I think I read a reply from Wuz to that effect, although I do apologise to Wuz in advance if I have misquoted him.

To quote a man who knows a thing or two about these cars :)

"A fully decated 2 ½” bore system is adequate up to 350 bhp. After this a 3” system is recommended. Sports cat systems are available but ultimately still limit power compared to a fully decated setup"

Taken from Andy Forrests website. :o

This is worth a look as well.

http://www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk/58761.html

Edited by paul555sti
Cheers Paul. I reckon i will go with the 2.5. Anyone know what the power limits are on the P1 turbo?

Dan looking the tuning stages on Andy's website ( link posted above ) , stage one says up to 330. I am guessing that's what he thinks are the limits of the standard turbo.

I normal line of answering this is "380 is about your limit on 2.5, dependant on car" but Andy does know his onions when it comes to this :)

Thing is that 3" can reduce your torque curve compared to the 2.5 so the car feels different. Its about how the car feels and the "area under the curve" that's important.

Safest option..........................3" exhaust with a Decat D/P that has a 2.5" flange down at the C/S. this keeps the torque you love (kick in the back) and then is a cheap change of D/P to go full 3"

Russell

Edited by WUZ

Thanks for the info Peter. Ive just ordered a H+S backbox so will be looking to get the rest of the system knocked up for it. Meercat seems the best place to get that done. I doubt it will be in time to see your car tho as i still have to gather all the rest of the parts before i can get a remap. Im sure i will see some pics on here, or see the car up at Knockhill soon enough :o

• 1 month later...

Rescued from page 13! I need to get my finger out. Im in for the AndyF group buy so i need to get all the supporting mods. Ive noticed prices for the fuel pump and spark plugs are all over the place so anywhere you guys suggest? Is ebay a safe option? Also, which panel filter do you recommend, probably going for k+n or green so any preference?