Nextengines 3d Scanner..

Am just amazed how it can make working parts just by scanning the whole item as opposed to scanning the working parts seperately.

My guess is that there is a certain level of intelligence programmed into it.. (no not independant though) but a logical knowledge that identifies a screw or cog etc. by certain properties and can continue that throughout until it identifies an end point

e.g. with the adjustable spanner, it coudl potentially identify the worm as a worm and understand it's purpose and in effect understand what how it should operate within reason.. But I gues in more complex systems it woudl be a bit of trial an error and an extra level of human interaction involved..

Certainly a market for equipment like that!!

Wow, pretty amazing gizmo. I don't understand though. The guy said that normally you have to measure a part with calipers etc. then machine it from that. So, how does making a plastic version cut that step out? Surely the plastic version has to be measured too before a metal equivelant can be made. If the "printer" printed in metal, now THAT would be cool! I'm that will be coming next :rotfl:

Wow, pretty amazing gizmo. I don't understand though. The guy said that normally you have to measure a part with calipers etc. then machine it from that. So, how does making a plastic version cut that step out? Surely the plastic version has to be measured too before a metal equivelant can be made. If the "printer" printed in metal, now THAT would be cool! I'm that will be coming next :rotfl:

Yeah.. In theoory you could connect up a suitable CNC metalwork machine to cut stuff out (e.g. a lathe but that only works for roudn stuff) All they are really doing is creating a 1 piece replica which can then be used to set a mould to create a new forged part.

Of course you've probably spotted a flaw.. Why not just use the origonal part! when you need it to be in one piece to begin with... Going via PC will let you effectively fix the part in a virtual world.. SO if say part of it is worn or has a nick in it.. you can alter the design by removing damage or making adjustments then getting a fresh clean version to create a mould with..

Still fairly time consuming, but handy none the less!

In theory you could to this.. scan in an impreza engine (will need to be seperated first).. Then bore it out a bit in the virtual world then create the template for it to be forged in metal! Sure you coudl just design it from scratch on computer but the 3d safes a LOT of time and lets you copy existing parts!

Edited by ScoUK

Yeah, I think that something that would be expecally hand for this, would be the ability to catalouge every part that you want or need to get moulded and just keep them on file for later. there are so many applications that you could use this for, thats just the tip of the iceberg.

Ha, yeah like your idea John, the Printer to print in metal, would be a great idea, but unfortunitly, not possible, well, certainly not for the types of applications that would be usefull to industry, as theres a lot of manufacturing procesess that its unfortunitly not possible to bypass, heat treatments, forming processes, finishing proceses... but for creating moulds, prototyping (as Al mentioned), if your could print in wax, then you are taking out a sep of the sand casting process, you make a wax mould, and then build up the sand cast, and fire the cast in an oven, and hey voila, you have a ready to use sand cast. I'd imagine that the printer would be capable of printing from CAD also, as that also will show you detailed 3D drawings.

Very cool stuff!