Seized Handbrake – How To Release?

Car has been parked up all week, which is not unusual and it has been parked up longer in the past with no problems.

The handbrake has seized on and just will not release. I think it is the brake rather than the mechanism as I got a clonk from one side when I released it, but the other side is still solid.

Is there an easy diy way to get it free? Have tried to rock it free in reverse, but that is just burning the clutch. Can't go forward as will end up in the front room if it realeases!

Is the wheel dragging!? I usually take it up the road and back, giving the pedal a few good jumps. Obviously make sure no-one is behind you!

Drive is on a hill and can't get it reversed back up to the road to do that.

Edited by JamesM

The handbrake on a subaru works just the same way as a normal car with drums as the handbrake is inside the disk/hub part so if you take your wheel off and give it a couple of fairly hard hits with a hammer is should free it but be carefull not to hit a wheel stud or the disk its self as you can cause damage to them :thumbup: hpoe this helps

• 11 months later...
i was going to say that if a BFH doesnt sort out a stuck handbrake shoe then you got problems!! :D

Thanks for the previous posts. I was thinking it might need lifting away it was stuck so hard. But a gentle tap with the BFH in the right place did the job, where driving up and down the road with one locked wheel didn't!!

Cheers. Just tap round the outside of the hub/drum.