V Power Or Tesco 99

Hi

I've been using tesco 99 since i got my first impreza but since i got my type ra i've noticed that the knock link lights up the second green light or even the amber light for a split second when i'm pushing it on a bit. So a few weeks ago i started using shell v power and now the knock link doesn't move from the first green light even when it's getting thrashed.

Is this just a coincidence or would there be a difference between the 2 fuels which would cause this??

cheers steve

Ive been using Tesco 99 or v-power for the past 2 years & havent noticed one bit of diffrence between them. :D

I asked Andy f the last week when he was remapping my car what was best & would it effect the mapping choping & changing between fuels? & he said both fuels have their good & bad points & that they were much of a muchness. :wub:

always used V-Power on mine until recently when a local tesco started stocking 99 Used a few tanks of it and don't notice much difference I "thinK" the T99 feels smoother yet the Vpower packs a very slightly more kick.. But that difference coudl just be air temp related. Difference is minumal.. But the T99 is WAY cheaper!..

I'm sure someone in the know will come along But IIRC Vpower is refined up to 98ron then octane booster is added. But T99 is basically super 97ron with octane additives added to bring it to 99ron..

Al your on the right lines there. Its all to do with the additives that are put into the petrol before it leaves the refineries.

The way I see it is, what does tesco know about fuel additives compared to an oil company!?!

Any of the lads that have worked at BP grangemouth care to comment on this?

Rich

yeh its all the same except for the addatives as im led to believe and the shell stuff can go off over time if not used quick enoughsomething to do with the additive breaking down, i found that every so often id get a rubbish batch of shell fuel that was more like 95 ron (could have been) tesco

seems to be the same each time

i use the tesco car seems to go better on it with less knock but it don`t last quite as long as the shell.

ill email one of y mates over the refinary on nightshift tonight see what they say.

Tesco's 99 fuel is ~5% bio-ethanol, that's what brings it octane rating up. Fuel trims on our ECU's can cope with that no problem, so you shouldn't see any CEL's. Technically MPG should be worse than V-Power, ever so slightly, but I've never tested it. When I map my car for E85, I think I'll blend it with Tesco99.