Oil Coolers & Intercooler Spray

Looking at future mods to my MY00, been advised to fit an oil cooler, so wondered if anyone has had any experience good/bad on some brands?

Also, looking to fit the Intercooler spray feature from the imports? Any advantage from them, or not worth the bother?

Cheers, Ryan!

Oil cooler not usually necessaary unless you're tracking a 2.5l. I tracked my 2l for hours and never got a whiff of overheating. Now it's a 2.5 I shall be getting one as it got rather hot just on the mapping session. You need a 19 section one I'm told, they do make smaller but not much point.

Intercooler spray rather gimmicky I suspect. never hada one and never missed it. Better is to get a front mount intercooler for not a lot more money (but will need remapping).

fitted a cooler to my Type R and notived a 10 degree drop in oil temp (used to be run at 100 now never goes above 90)

according to Defi oil temp guage.

Not sure if its necessary but makes me feel better.

As for intercooler water spray i cannot say i have noticed when it kicks in (auto on my R) - i had amanual one on my previous scoob and again i did not notice any difference - but i guess it much help as it cools the fins on the intercooler

Anything you do that helps keep the engine temps down is a plus mate, although the waterspray is not the most effective way of cooling charge air down it does make a small difference, by increasing the speed at which heat is lost over the intercooler (think of your hands on a cold windy winters day, hold one dry hand into the wind it will be cold but get that hand wet and the sensation of cold turns to freezing due to the increased rate of heat transfer - its the same principle). The oil cooler has 2 plus points mate, the cooler helps keep the overall engine temp down ( if even only by a few deg' it helps) the other plus point is that it increases your engine oil capacity.

Cheers Iain

• 3 months later...
i was told by a friend that rallies imprezas that during testing they noticed more effective cooling by using a water spray than having a front mount,

true ...very true never seen a rally car with a fmic...

but (sorry mate :P )they never get over the 300bhp mark and never sit in traffic... :wub:

i've never noticed what the w/spray does....but a oil cooler is a big yes,as ian put anything that help reduce temps is a good idea B)

but i/spray must do some thing as subaru fitted one and probably spent £???????????????? testing and developing them

food for thought i thinks :thumbup: