New Litchfield My08 Type 20 Test Drive (caution Long Read)

As you may or not know i have owned four Scoobs and presently a MY06 JDM Type20. Since December last year I have already tested a MY08 S-ST, MY08 UK STi STD & one engine/suspensionTweaks. MY08 EU Sti (top spec) & MY08 EU Sti (std spec)engine/suspensionTweaks

Previuos MY08 Test Drives

The MY08 showed great potential, good power Delivey as std, driving position was excellent, boot was small but made up for with folding seats. Good leg room but Sadly disappionted by a few things.

Chassis was far to soft (like an old Pram with springs)

steering was so light and little or no feed back (to over "assisted" not quite as bad on the JDM) keeped looking if a "City" switch mode was on)

17" wheels were made for motorways not for cornering

Extremly quite in the Cabin

To be honest, out the box the STD MY08 STi is in a better place than the STD MY07 Saloon. If you spent £2.5k on suspension, exhaust and remap tweaks the Saloon would be greatly improved but only slight gains on the MY08STi Hatch as it wouldn't cure the Traits above. So i'd stick with my saloon TA IMHO

New Litchfield Type 20 Test Drive

I'll get the bad points ouit the way first, it's not a Vauxhall( sial silver Photochop with VXL No Plate), BMW1, Seat, Focus or Audi A3 etc etc but it is a hatchback, now we've got that out the way, can we please move on

Looking at the Car it not cosmetically much different to any 08 Hatch but I had been eagerly awaiting to test the the improvents Iain had made to the car.

In the Town the car was smooth and very comfortable. Cabin was very quiet slightly worried I'd wasted my time re-testing a MY08 STi!!.

Steering

You instantly notice the slightly heaiver feel to the steering so things looking up, hopefully when pushing on, i don't get the "Chatter" up the column associated with heavier steering.

Power delivery

Driving out of town the throttle response was incredible with very little lag and once over 3Krpm the performance seemed much like a T25 mk2's.

Chassis

WOW, what difference a "Tweak" has made, the chassis, suspension and wheels were now accutally all connected. Previous chassis felt they were held together with bungee ropes. Pushing on, body roll seem nearly eliminated yet my dentures still intact.

Handling

This is so much improved over the old setups I've tried. Bumps, potholes and very uneven surfaces didn't seem to cause the Suspension any problems. On the one section of bumpy road my MY06 cannot get any more power down due to "bouncing".

Cabin comfort wasn't compromised by the Coilover suspension, yet still seemed firm enough for track use.

Grip

The tyres are just made for it no tramling to speak of and stacks of Grip

Braking

Brilliant, I'd love this conversion to my Car, brembo's can be a overwhelmed on tight tracks like brands Hatch.

Conclusion

Before Test drive would I swap my MY06 Type 20 for a MY08 STi with "STD mods"......... definaltely not. I'd probably gone for a RA or RA-R or Cossy engine for my T20.

After Test drive would I swap my MY06 Type 20 for a MY08 Type 20......... More than like Yes as the New T20 this has taking the "T20 marque" to another level. This is not a "poormans" T25 this is an awesome car in it's own rights.

OK £37K is shed load of pennies but seems spent in all the right places :huh: This Car works because it's a developed "Package" and not a "magnet" driven through Helfrauds

IMHO

TONY

Edited by T5NYW
  • 2 weeks later...

From the WEB site this is the spec and is outstanding to drive :thumbup:..

The Type-20 will have the following specification:

2008 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

400 PS @ 7,500 Rpm / 375lbft @ 3,500rpm

2.0 Litre EJ207 Engine with Dual Variable Valve Timing

New Type-20 Twinscroll turbo with Zircotec ceramic coating

Type-20 Turbo heat shield

Litchfield cold air induction system with high flow filter

Litchfield reprogrammed ECU with enhanced Economy mode

Milltek 3” Exhaust system with 100 cell Hi-Flow Sports Catalytic converter (saves 20kg).

Japanese STI quicker 13.1 Steering Rack

Revised chassis bushes and up rated anti roll bar

Increased Castor angle and wheel base

Re-valved power steering system with increased feel and weight

AST 12-Way adjustable suspension allowing lower ride height (-35mm over standard)

STI front lip spoiler

Litchfield front strut brace

18x8.5 Lightweight Rota alloy wheels

High performance 245/40/18 Dunlop SP600 tyres

365mm Alcon Brake kit

Engine Start button

Red Maserati style tail light option

Revised STI front grill

Price: £36,995 OTR

Tony

• 1 month later...