Award Of The Day

Is this the SIDC? lets be honest here folks.

I dont care what anyone says, I smoke when driving the wifes motor, eat, fart, forget to indicate because I dont have enough free hands, abuse other road users, overtake a lot and get very distracted by girls in short skirts.

The point in my motoring life that I actually became a danger to other road users was when I bought a 300+ BHP rally car

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from BBC website

"But Kevin Clinton, head of road safety at the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, disagreed, saying the report showed a need to re-emphasise the overall campaign against speed.

FATAL CRASH FACTORS

Losing control 35%

Going too fast for conditions 17%

Failing to look properly 17%

Turning or maneouvring poorly 12%

Exceeding speed limit 12%

The contributory factors suggested eight times more male than female drivers in road accidents were speeding. Older drivers were less likely to speed.

While "impairment or distraction" was reported in 12% of all accidents, and 19% of fatal accidents, a factor like use of a mobile phone did not even feature in 1% of accidents.

Of the six most stated factors, five were some form of mistake by the motorist.

The DfT emphasised that contributory factors were based on the reporting officers initial assessment and were not subjected to a strong standard of proof."

banning mobile phones and smoking and all that nonsense is simply one more freedom taken away by a government hell bent on legislating for every single action of your life.

failing to look properly and turning or maneouvring is more dangerous, so if you really wanted to save lives introduce a mini driving test style MOT for drivers ever 3/5/10 years. take your pick. ANYTHING that distracts you whilst driving is potentially dangerous. the mobile phone issue is totally non discretionary. the cops will do you whether you were posing a risk or not.

the ability to penalise you for having a phone to your ear is an easy spot = easy charge = easy fine! and that's what its all about. the stats for accidents caused by mobile phone use are so miniscule as to not be worth bothering about.

i do want my loved ones to be safe on the road, so we should be doing the following;-

1. make sure all the cars on the road are safe. bigger penalties for not having a valid MOT

2. make sure all drivers insured. much bigger penalties for driving uninsured

3. MOT style tests as you get older. a 25 year old just over the drink drive limit has quicker reactions than a stone cold 70 year old. i'm 45 and my dad is 75 and what a difference i see in his road awareness and confidence in the last 5 years even

4. get rid of all fixed speed cameras, replaced with mobile units that are only allowed to operate in blackspots and get plod out patrolling again, stopping those that pose a real danger to themselves and others. 67mph on a warm dry empty A9 would be ignored by plod, rightly, yet punished by the mobile cash machines - nonsensical approach to safety

5. based on the stats above, let the ladies drive, or book in for that gender change op!

there will always be some horror story of some poor soul who got killed by some muppet peeling an orange without due care and attention, but we've had several people in our family and close circle of friends who have been involved in accidents and in almost every case lack of attention was the primary cause, and not once was the source of that lack of attention a mobile phone.

sorry guys and gals. rant over, but having just spent 2 weeks in the US you soon realise just how controlling and manipulative our governments are with regard to your civil liberties. driving over there is a much more relaxed business and everyone is on their mobile. if i could have got a signal i might have joined in, just because i felt so left out!

Good points.

I don't know if you seen the article last week about the improvements on the A77 which basically said that SPECS was the second coming of Jesus in its ability to save lifes.

No mention of course that they'd replaced the junctions with proper ones that didn't involve buying a lottery ticket before you moved.

from BBC website

"But Kevin Clinton, head of road safety at the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, disagreed, saying the report showed a need to re-emphasise the overall campaign against speed.

FATAL CRASH FACTORS

Losing control 35%

Going too fast for conditions 17%

Failing to look properly 17%

Turning or maneouvring poorly 12%

Exceeding speed limit 12%

The contributory factors suggested eight times more male than female drivers in road accidents were speeding. Older drivers were less likely to speed.

While "impairment or distraction" was reported in 12% of all accidents, and 19% of fatal accidents, a factor like use of a mobile phone did not even feature in 1% of accidents.

Of the six most stated factors, five were some form of mistake by the motorist.

The DfT emphasised that contributory factors were based on the reporting officers initial assessment and were not subjected to a strong standard of proof."

banning mobile phones and smoking and all that nonsense is simply one more freedom taken away by a government hell bent on legislating for every single action of your life.

failing to look properly and turning or maneouvring is more dangerous, so if you really wanted to save lives introduce a mini driving test style MOT for drivers ever 3/5/10 years. take your pick. ANYTHING that distracts you whilst driving is potentially dangerous. the mobile phone issue is totally non discretionary. the cops will do you whether you were posing a risk or not.

the ability to penalise you for having a phone to your ear is an easy spot = easy charge = easy fine! and that's what its all about. the stats for accidents caused by mobile phone use are so miniscule as to not be worth bothering about.

i do want my loved ones to be safe on the road, so we should be doing the following;-

1. make sure all the cars on the road are safe. bigger penalties for not having a valid MOT

2. make sure all drivers insured. much bigger penalties for driving uninsured

3. MOT style tests as you get older. a 25 year old just over the drink drive limit has quicker reactions than a stone cold 70 year old. i'm 45 and my dad is 75 and what a difference i see in his road awareness and confidence in the last 5 years even

4. get rid of all fixed speed cameras, replaced with mobile units that are only allowed to operate in blackspots and get plod out patrolling again, stopping those that pose a real danger to themselves and others. 67mph on a warm dry empty A9 would be ignored by plod, rightly, yet punished by the mobile cash machines - nonsensical approach to safety

5. based on the stats above, let the ladies drive, or book in for that gender change op!

there will always be some horror story of some poor soul who got killed by some muppet peeling an orange without due care and attention, but we've had several people in our family and close circle of friends who have been involved in accidents and in almost every case lack of attention was the primary cause, and not once was the source of that lack of attention a mobile phone.

sorry guys and gals. rant over, but having just spent 2 weeks in the US you soon realise just how controlling and manipulative our governments are with regard to your civil liberties. driving over there is a much more relaxed business and everyone is on their mobile. if i could have got a signal i might have joined in, just because i felt so left out!

here here!! :D

Its really a very valid point.

People shouldnt be on the phone and it COULD cause an accident BUT it might not happen.

I think if you are honest, you have at some point used your cellular phone enroute to some place or another. please be honest.

Ive done it, youve done it, theyve done it.

Just because the Police and the Government have stepped up their quest to stop people doing it, doesnt mean that everyone will change overnight.

Dont get stressed about it. Eventually it will stop.

Maybe you should try soaking in a lovely bath until your eggs go soggy them stretch the satchel over yer heed tho

Its really a very valid point.

People shouldnt be on the phone and it COULD cause an accident BUT it might not happen.

I think if you are honest, you have at some point used your cellular phone enroute to some place or another. please be honest.

Ive done it, youve done it, theyve done it.

Just because the Police and the Government have stepped up their quest to stop people doing it, doesnt mean that everyone will change overnight.

Dont get stressed about it. Eventually it will stop.

Maybe you should try soaking in a lovely bath until your eggs go soggy them stretch the satchel over yer heed tho

Just when i thought you were going to make a full post with out mentioning eggs. :D