Doing An Oil Change...

Ok, now that I am a past-master in graphics application ( :D ) I am going to attempt something a bit more technical - an oil change. Ha! I know the process is staright-forward > drain oil - remove filter - fill new filter and attach - fill engine - job done. BUT, were is a safe place to put the axel stands on the front of the car? Please can I have a picture of the car's underside with arrows pointing to the right bits, cuz I don't know the names! :P:blush:

Thanks!

John,

Oil change is not as straight forward as that, i am no expert but you need to pre fill oil filter before fitting,

then i am sure you then disconnect some plug which then allows you to turn engine over without it firing up.

sure there is a step by step guide on scoobynet

mark

Edited by scoobymark
* Floor jack

* Jack stands

* Wheel chock, or something to block the wheels

* Block of wood (small piece of 2x4 works well)

1) First engage the parking brake.

2) Block the wheels on the opposite end of the car. I've used a block of wood here.

whl_blk2.jpg

3) Roll the floor jack under the front of the car. The jacking plate is behind the oil pan. Raise the jack.

frt_jack.jpg

4) There are notches on each side of the car, just behind the mud flaps. These are used as the jacking points for the small scissors jack which comes with the car. Since you don't want to bend anything in this area, choose a point slightly in front of these notches to place the jack stands.

f_point1.jpg

5) Place both stands under the frame, and lower the jack slowly.

f_point2.jpg

6) Verify that the car is stable on the stands before working under the car. You can leave the jack in place, but never rely on just the jack to support the car. When you're done working on the front of the car, use the front jacking point to raise it back up, and remove the jack stands.

7) The procedure for lifting the rear of the car is similar. Make sure the parking brake is engaged.

8) Block the front wheels.

9) Position the jack under the rear differential as shown, and place a block of wood between the jack and differential. Raise the jack.

rearjack.jpg

10) Locate the notches on the side of the car, below the rear door.

r_point1.jpg

11) For the rear support points, I chose an area just forward of the rear notches. Again, you don't want to bend the area around the notch since that's where you would place your OEM jack.

r_point2.jpg

12) After the stands are in position, slowly lower the jack and the rear of the car until the car rests on the stands. Verify that the car is stable and supported before working under it. Don't rely on the jack to support the car.

I'd like to add some comments to this thread:

I've gotten feedback from some other people about the choice of what to use between the jack and rear diff.

If you use wood, be sure to use a good strong piece of wood with no cracks or weak spots, as at least one person reported the wood breaking and the car almost slipping off the jack. I chose a longer board figuring it would be less likely to split than a small one.

Other suggestions have included: a metal backed rubber jack pad, circles or squares of heavy rubber floor mat, and a hockey puck.

Whatever you use, be safe and use common sense when lifting a vehicle.

Browwed from outback_97 on scoobymods found via google, However personally i'd make sure the car was in gear and handbreak on either way i was jacking up and make sure the wheels are chocked, Also Dont use a random bit of the sill as the jack's will likey just go though it, Oh and this guide is for the bugeye but i cant see it being massivley diffrent from the model you have. Oh and go into halfords and grab a manual and find out how much oil it take and fill it until u used the same amount of oil that it says in the manual then leave for a bit then check

Cheers.

Joe.

Edited by Joe1989
Browwed from outback_97 on scoobymods found via google, However personally i'd make sure the car was in gear and handbreak on either way i was jacking up and make sure the wheels are chocked, Also Dont use a random bit of the sill as the jack's will likey just go though it, Oh and this guide is for the bugeye but i cant see it being massivley diffrent from the model you have.

Cheers.

Joe.

Cheers Joe, but I don't think I could get the jack under the car, its too low. Plus, I think I have all that plastic crap in the way of the jack-point anyway.
John,

Oil change is not as straight forward as that, i am no expert but you need to pre fill oil filter before fitting,

then i am sure you then disconnect some plug which then allows you to turn engine over without it firing up.

sure there is a step by step guide on scoobynet

mark

Yeah, I knew about the pre-fill but dunno about turning the engine over... I need to do a change before the track on Sat.

lol the plastic crap undertray will need to come off as well!

Yeah, but I have to get under the car to do that, and to get under the car I need to jack it up, but to jack it up I need to remove the plastic to reveal the jack point! ARGH! Why is nothing freaking simple!

Yeah, but I have to get under the car to do that, and to get under the car I need to jack it up, but to jack it up I need to remove the plastic to reveal the jack point! ARGH! Why is nothing freaking simple!

Best to get it up on a 4 poster ramp if you can then remove under cover and then locate sump plug and remove and drain oil then remove oil filter,once all oil has drained replace sump plug and new oil filter but remember to fill it up first then replace under cover and drop car down to a level standing and fill up with fresh oil usually around 5 litres,turn engine over using a socket on the crank pulley to ensure the sump is full then let the engine run for a few mins b4 stopping and checking level, thats what i do anyway :thumbup:

Stevie

Watched the boys at Awd do a oil change on my car ages ago remove sump gaurd ,drain oil,remove oil filter,prefill new oil filter ,fill with engine oil,then run for couple of minutes then turn the engine off and give it a few minutes and check oil level.

Best to get it up on a 4 poster ramp if you can then remove under cover and then locate sump plug and remove and drain oil then remove oil filter,once all oil has drained replace sump plug and new oil filter but remember to fill it up first then replace under cover and drop car down to a level standing and fill up with fresh oil usually around 5 litres,turn engine over using a socket on the crank pulley to ensure the sump is full then let the engine run for a few mins b4 stopping and checking level, thats what i do anyway :D

Stevie

You do my ass! Thats what our mechanic does while you watch! ha ha¬! :D

Welsh - Fair point from Steve. I would have thought it impossible to drain oil without removing the plastic sump guard.

Edited by dtabbit77