Found A P P G Gearbox (well Playsatan2 Did!)

If yours is a 5 speed box, then yes it's a gear-set for a 5 speed box. You have the choice of having your own box stripped down, ppg kit fitted along with your front diff, or find a broken gearbox preferably with the same front diff ratio as your own, this will allow you to sell on your own good gearbox and pull some money back.

Edited by AlanG

Wow, some great advice getting dished out, interesting stuff. :lol:

Is the top end of final gear in a 6sp faster than the top end of a 5sp ??

Coment of the thread ....

do yourself a favour by just buying it once.

John you should get a 6sp to make up for carrying all that extra newage weight ,lol ... :rotfl:

Wow, some great advice getting dished out, interesting stuff. :lol:

Is the top end of final gear in a 6sp faster than the top end of a 5sp ??

From memory i think the 6 is longer than the 5, so yes.

Practically identical with the 6 speed juuuuuuuust longer.

WRX Stock Gears Ratio Step (%)

1 3.454

2 1.947 43.6

3 1.366 29.8

4 0.972 28.8

5 0.738 24.1

Sti 6-speed Ratio Step (%)

1 3.636

2 2.375 34.7

3 1.761 25.9

4 1.346 23.6

5 1.062 21.1

6 0.842 20.7

UK 6-speed Ratio Step (%)

1 3.636

2 2.375 34.7

3 1.761 25.9

4 1.346 23.6

5 0.971 27.9

6 0.756 22.1

I cant pull past 6k in 6th in mine... its like there is a limiter on there that it keeps hitting, slowing down, then bumping into again if you keep it planted, at that speed its no longer reading numbers on the speedo so no idea what indicated speed that would be.

Cheers,

Grant

I cant pull past 6k in 6th in mine... its like there is a limiter on there that it keeps hitting, slowing down, then bumping into again if you keep it planted, at that speed its no longer reading numbers on the speedo so no idea what indicated speed that would be.

Cheers,

Grant

Is yours a 2.5 though? Different ratios again for that.

Is yours a 2.5 though? Different ratios again for that.

Yeah, its a 2.5. So I take it that its no good then? Oh wait, are you asking me or Grant? Anyway, both our cars are 2.5L, so will that WRX 95 gear-set do me?

Cheeeeeeers!

Edited by TheWelsho

Was referring to Grant there John. If he has a 2.5 six speed it has the same ratios as the forrester box. Very strong and excellent ratios.

The gear set from the 95 would be compatible with your casing. If you're interested in buying it from this guy ask him what code is on the box. If it start ty752 it is the older style casing and while it shouldn't cause a problem it won't be as strong. If he's had it built into a newer ty754 casing thats a big plus. The box you have just now should be a 754 and if you wanted you could take the internals out of the ppg and install them into your casing for the best of both worlds. You'd also need to ask him about diff ratios too to see if they match with your car.

Cheers,

Grant

Ha ha...off the clock!

Clock reads 12 o'clock ;)

I thought the ecutek had a limilter set at 157

Yea its a 2.5 STi that I've got.. never realised it was the same ratios as the JDM Forrester STi.

Peter, that would kinda work out I suppose, as it sits just around the M of MPH...... which if you take into consideration the speedo over-reading, would probably be around a genuine 157mph. Part of me wonders what I could get to with the extra 1000rpm and then the other part knows that there is hardly any chance to find out even if it was 'unlocked' at mapping time. I think that the standard figures for a Hawkeye STi is a top speed of 157mph.

Cheers,

Grant