C E L Has Come On

Hi Folks.

Car is MY06 WRX VF34 turbo and sports cat. Mapped to 340/400 My CEL has come on and I have no idea why. Here are some conditions that might give pointers to the issue:

1) Installed gauges 6 days ago and the Intercooler and alternator had to come out to get access to the sensors.

2) On idle the car is not idling smoothly, instead it fluctuates in that every half secnod or so the revs drop then back to 900 then drop then back to 900. At the point of drop the car shudders slighly as thought it is read to cut out. It doesn't do this all the time though. Also, when this happens, both the boost gauge and oil pressure guage drop and climb in time with the rev counter needle.

3) Crap fuel consumption (18 MPG)

The car seems to drive fine albiet off-boost for the moment.

Any ideas, does any one in the GLA area have a diagnostic connection thing that can tell me what the error code is?

Thanks

J

EDIT: Just had a look under the bonnet and there sound like a hissing sound coming from around the alternator region (this is where the sensors for the guages attach), though hard to say. When I turn of the engine, the hissing is more noticable as it dies out.

Edited by TheWelsho
Hi Folks.

Car is MY06 WRX VF34 turbo and sports cat. Mapped to 340/400 My CEL has come on and I have no idea why. Here are some conditions that might give pointers to the issue:

1) Installed gauges 6 days ago and the Intercooler and alternator had to come out to get access to the sensors.

2) On idle the car is not idling smoothly, instead it fluctuates in that every half secnod or so the revs drop then back to 900 then drop then back to 900. At the point of drop the car shudders slighly as thought it is read to cut out. It doesn't do this all the time though. Also, when this happens, both the boost gauge and oil pressure guage drop and climb in time with the rev counter needle.

3) Crap fuel consumption (18 MPG)

The car seems to drive fine albiet off-boost for the moment.

Any ideas, does any one in the GLA area have a diagnostic connection thing that can tell me what the error code is?

Thanks

J

hi m8 i have a ecutek data monitor still in the box you could use if you like to get the code pm me if you want to use it

Edited by evokiller
Crap idle and higher fuel consumption would point towards a MAF sensor away to me... have you replaced yours yet (I remember a thread a while back when I showed you where the MAF was), or is it the same one that came with the car from new??

Cheers,

Grant

I got a brand new MAF fitted about 4K miles ago, so not likely to be that, I don't think but who knows!?

Did you disconnect the battery putting the gauges in?

Erm, I don't think the batt was disconnected!

Edited by TheWelsho
I got a brand new MAF fitted about 4K miles ago, so not likely to be that, I don't think but who knows!?

Erm, I don't think the batt was disconnected!

if you hear a hissing check the vacum hoses near the dump valve, intercooler to turbo. Give john a phone john. I also have a OBD2 reader if you want to check.

if you hear a hissing check the vacum hoses near the dump valve, intercooler to turbo. Give john a phone john. I also have a OBD2 reader if you want to check.

The hissing seems to be coming from this litle bit. When I move it around the idle changes dramtically at times almost to the point of cutting out! What does this do? It pulls out with ease.

hiss.jpg

Edited by TheWelsho
The pipe marked in the picture has broken off at the end under that little round thing. The top part connects to the inlet manifold. What is it for and coudl that be causing me a problem?

Not sure what the part is (bloody newage's) but if thats leaving an open pipe onto the inlet manifold then yes, that would decribe the issues you've described. I did it once by mistake when I forgot to connect the vacumm pipe to my dump valve.

Is it easy access to fix it?

Not sure what the part is (bloody newage's) but if thats leaving an open pipe onto the inlet manifold then yes, that would decribe the issues you've described. I did it once by mistake when I forgot to connect the vacumm pipe to my dump valve.

Is it easy access to fix it?

It would be easy enough if it was a case of just popping the pipe back on, but the little hard-plastic extrusion has broken off, so the rubber hose has nothing to slot onto. I suppose that means that the plastic component that the pipe connects onto has to be replaced. So yes easy enough for a man that knows what's what, for the likes of me... its a not easy!

The fault reported was "Running too lean" The probable cause is a broken attachment on the "Valve assembly duty solenoid" This is located under the alternator and connects by a rubber hose to the inlet manifold. The plastic extrusion onto which the rubber hose fits over, has snapped off meaning that the full item has to be replaced. The part is £200!

I'll try to post pics later once the engine cools.

Note to self: Modding is not for me! :angry:

have you got long nose pliers or a leatherman to pull the plastic pipe out of the hose so can superglue it back on for a temporary fix

Trying to do that now, it wont budge and I dont wnat to force it too much in case I damage it further.

Edit: Twisted a self-tapper in and pulled it out, now to glue it!

Edited by TheWelsho
If you're willing to try a bodge this might be an option,

brass-male-hose-barb-connec.gif

http://www.brasselectrical.com/brass-fitti...b-connector.htm

If you can screw one into the plastic it would let you attach the hose. It may split the plastic and then you'd really be goosed but if you're throwing it in the bin anyway..........................

Thanks Colin, that looks like an option. I was able to get the tube out by gently screwing a self-tapping screw into the plastic which then allowed me to pull it out. I then cleaned both surfaces of the plastic and super glued it - madness I know! I have spent near enough 30 grand on the car and here I am using a £2 tube of glue to fix it. Anyway, did all that, fitted it back and took it for a blast. Roads where a bit too busy to keep the boot down but I did hit full boost a couple of times (near 1.5 bar). When I got back the pipe was still in place and the car is idling better than before. The hissing has stopped, but there are some other weird noises, I dunno maybe its jsut the alternator whizzing. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks again!