I Have Just Test Drove The New 2008 Impreza Turbo S-gt (very Long Story)

B]What a Fabulous day I have just had :cool:

sorry it’s very story but it was just Brilliant :D just want to read about the 2008 Car jump to next post :D

I was booked into Powerstation to give my Type 20 some TLC a 6 month service :D

So I popped next door for a chat with Iain Litchfield about some trackday mods and info for my T20 :D Every time I visit Litchfield Imports I'm like a small kid in a BIG Sweet shop, I always leave my credit card in the Car LOL

Sat down in the showroom with Iain talking, I was casually gazing around the forecourt etc and trying to decide which to buy, if only :D their Championship winning 600 bhp Spec C race car, a tiny Supercharged R2, Legacy GUT turbo, Forester STi and MY07 Impreza STi A-Line. But my eye caught glimpse 4 little beauties in the corner a MY06 Spec C, a rare MY06 Spec C Type-RA, a ultra rare Type RA-R and a Cosworth Type-25.

At this piont Iain has notice I’d stopped talking to him and started drooling, so handed me a tissue ;) The RA-R is about the only Impreza I had never driven and it did look gorgeous. Iain said he has to move the showroom around a bit to fit in the new Car in when it comes back from MilTek are you interested in the RA-R, is Pope catholic :banana2:

The car was awaiting the original suspension back on as no give at all, like a go kart but was awesome for a 2.0ltr, no match for the Cossy T25 Spec C though. IMHO I was very tempted to sell the wife's both Kidneys at this stage, I was told it was provisionally sold, would I like one, if he can get another :rotfl: well could it get any better, YES :luxhello:

Just about to go home and along comes their Trailer with the new car A 2008 S-GT (WRX ish) I had a look around it and TBH not al all bad in the Flesh :banana:

Iain said he hadn’t driven it yet, so do I fancy going on a Test drive with him, I no said, I'm too busy and have to get home for my Tea, like hell

Tony

The 2008 S-GT Test drive

Sat in the car, you are in a lower seating position than my 06 STi, far more head room. Also there is noticeably more leg room for passengers in the back seats. Dash Clocks was nice red Defi style and nice door cards but rest of Dash was a bit plastically.

Engine was sound was about 240 bhp and the only Mod was a 3" Miltek exhaust and was quiet, hardly noticeable inside or out. IIRC didn't enhance performance till it was Re-mapped about 300 bhp then.The car can be programmed with a number of switchable maps, this Car had a white button (ECO) Economy and must have dropped the power to about 130 bhp. fuel saving MAP for cruising

Up the road it was very soft, smooth and lighter feel. Acceleration was not bad, quite linear due to twin scroll turbo, another 50 bhp would be nicer I did wonder if the car would handle due to it's soft nature, very predictable and diff's worked well. TBH it was better than expected but not brilliant. Braking with the 2 pots was good (sorry I thought they were 4 pots).

On the handling front the 205x50x17 Tyres and wheels were a let down We were both agreement some 18" with 225x40x18 would transform the Car. Even better some slightly heavier and lower springs.

I just can't wait till the Sti comes out

Tony

Edited by T5NYW

Type 25 will be awesome :cool:

I just happened to be there so no Camera ;) and my mobile is utter Cr4P. took a few pic's and battery died :D

T5NYW364222806357.jpg

T5NYW99894478954.jpg

OK it was a little drive and not a full test, It hadn't been remapped etc, i have done a very small quick report on it. but it certainly has Potential :cool:

Even in WRX form better in the flesh, more cabin space than my MY06 sti, can't wait to see the STi IMHO

Tony

A good informative read Tony

Thanks Phil, it was an unexpected treat, I couldn't believe it when it turned up and Iain allowed me a test drive ;)

OK I'm not Clarkson and was only a short test drive, :thumbup:

Tony

I am not going anywhere without my Camera now

Edited by T5NYW
Nice one Tony, I have heard that the Type RA-R is a bit special we have a guy near us trying to get his hands on one but not sure if he has managed to pull it off :ph34r:

Rare as rocking horse do doos :) Only allowed a short ride as possibly sold, but if was blue, I'd have bout it without trying it :banana2: well I didn't test drive my 06 T20 before I bought it.

The only Subaru Impreza of note I haven't driven is a WRC car :banana2: oh and the 2008 STi :thumbup:

Good write up Tony but it sounds like we need the STI.

I feel IM (Subaru UK) had it right, originally the UK was getting just the STi :banana2:

IMHO guessing a lot here ;) the standard 2008 STi would be a great WRX and Tweaked STi a fantastic STi B)

I would have loved another 70 miles or so in the S-GT (WRX) with a little more grunt and a set of 18"'s an YEEEE HAAAA ;) when you lot get to try one you will see what I mean.

On the wish list would be sightly lower and a little firmer springs and again only a slightly firmer ADj rear anti roll bar and the car would not be amillion miles away.

This S-GT has so much potential, more than a MY07 WRX , IMHO

After owning 3 STi's i'll wait for that one, apparently the STi will have a 6speed box it was the WRC box that wouln't fit "Alledgally"

And I did have real Fun that day, normally day for me is a service starts out cheap, but then some brakes tyres and an empty bank balance :o

But that day was tottally reversed, service was cheap and then just by chance end up driving two great Cars... Awesome, just wish I'd done the Lottery ticket that day

Tony

Edited by T5NYW

Sorry but I made a few imaccurate statements in my original Posts but it was an off the hock sort of day, the button for Economy ECO and the front brakes were 2 pots and not 4 pots as stated :o

But the ECO button can be programmed with a completely different MAP (eg 400bhp) and changed on the Fly

Tony

• 3 months later...

Well, to cut another very long story short, I bought it. Actually it's my wife's car, to replace a blue '03 WRX. It was delivered on Saturday. We were hoping to get it in mid-December but the type approval took a bit longer than planned and then it was the hols. Like a lot of people, we didn't like the pictures of the MY08 car when we saw them and we were going to move away from Subaru, but we think the mesh grille and the 18" Type RA wheels really transform the look.

We haven't driven it much yet, but first impressions are very favourable. It's a hoot to drive, and it feels a lot more modern and grown up than the '03. And the doors and boot close with a clunk rather than a clang. We like the fact that at first glance it's really anonymous, although my wife fears that whereas in the blue one she used to be let out of every side road by every lad in a Saxo, etc., now she will have to fight her way out like people in ordinary cars!

Anyway, my priority now is to get the old car sold - can't afford to keep both, unfortunately.

We are in Cambridgeshire, so if you see us, give us a wave!

Cheers,

Dom

Well, to cut another very long story short, I bought it. Actually it's my wife's car, to replace a blue '03 WRX. It was delivered on Saturday.

Dom

Well done mate :P

Like a lot of people, we didn't like the pictures of the MY08 car when we saw them and we were going to move away from Subaru, but we think the mesh grille and the 18" Type RA wheels really transform the look.

As I said 18"'s and a Remap would transform the Car :D I much prefer the lowere driving position on the MY08 car to the other Newage cars :o

t's a hoot to drive, and it feels a lot more modern and grown up than the '03. And the doors and boot close with a clunk rather than a clang.

Partially why i get upset over Peeps slating the STi before they even driven it let alone seen in real life :banana2:

Tony