2008 Wrx And Sti Sales To Be Limited?

OK, Subaru have decided to change the direction of the Impreza to the hatchback and it certinly isn't everyones cup of tea. To be honest, whilst it is completely different to what has gone before, I don't mind the look of what I have seen so far of the STI, although I don't like the WRX it looks too bland.

I have found the below article on Autotrader and What Car which confirms that there will be only 1000 WRX's and 1500 STI's per year :D . Is this a cunning ploy to make people buy the new one by saying it will be available in small numbers and then when they sell out, bring in more to meet demand? Or have Subaru really lost the plot and are restricting the number of sales of their most popular models? :wacko:

If so, the importers will be busy!

-------------------------------------------------

News Centre

New Impreza WRX and STIs to be limited

29 August 2007

Motorists hoping to get their hands on the new Subaru Impreza WRX or STI models will have to move fast, as both will be limited-edition cars in the UK.

The 227bhp 2.5-litre Impreza WRX will go on sale in the UK in November, but only between 350 and 400 models will be initially available. No prices have been released.

Subaru has confirmed it will limit sales to 1000 cars per year from 2008.

Details of the WRX STI also remain under wraps ahead of its spring 2008 launch, but Subaru has also confirmed that just 1500 models will be made available annually.

New Legacy

Sources have also confirmed that an all-new Subaru Legacy will be launched at the end of 2009.

The revamped car will be considerably bigger than the current car, sparking speculation that there will be an Impreza Sports Wagon to fill the gap left in Subaru's range.

A Subaru spokesman refused to confirm or deny any plans to build an Impreza Sports Wagon.

Maybe just testing the water as the new model has had a luke warm reception so far. As for importers Litchfield is already taking orders for a GT(?) model.

I read that the STI will be £30,000.

I also think that limited numbers is a good thing, i remember when i told my mate 8 years ago that i'd bought a Subaru, he said 'whats that?'. Now there more common and not as 'exclusive'.