G.mac's Build Thread

Oh well now that I now have something to start with I suppose I had better start a build thread.

It all started in October last year I think when I fitted new sparkplugs (NGK-PFR7B's) which one of them must have been faulty as after 200 miles this happened

Picture.jpg

I presume a bit of the melted sparkplug got caught behind my exhaust valve and did this

Picture064.jpg

Picture055.jpg

after doing this

Picture051.jpg

anyways with the head being burnt and cracked

Picture034-1.jpg

I decided to start myself a little project because afterall getting a 2nd hand head and sticking it on would have been far too easy ;)

After speaking to Colin (Playsatan) about his build and the guy who built it I decided to go with Ron at Raw Performance (ex Axis Performance) for my build so the hunt for an engine started. As new EJ22 closed deck blocks are no longer available I set about hunting down the Legacy owners clubs over in the states as these engines were fitted as standard to them. After a few weeks of hunting and placing wanted ads I managed to find this little gem

IMG_2429.jpg

It turned out that the guy who had it was only a couple of hours drive away from Ron's place and he offered to sell it to me AND drive it to Ron's for $600 USD....BARGAIN !!! :thumbup::P:)B) I paid the guy a deposit with the rest to be paid once Ron had inspected the engine.

OK so now I had an engine I just needed to find a set of heads. I didnt want to get a normal set of STI AVCS heads as they are prone to the cracking arround the spark plug hole as shown in the picture further up the page and I didnt want to go back to the older non AVCS heads so I settled on trying to find a set of the hatchback STI heads as they are dual AVCS :) anyways after alot of hunting over here I came up with nothing so again turned to the states and came up with these

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

So now the build was on!

after alot of emails I decided on a build

EJ22 CDB

Custom CP Pistons with top and side coatings

Pauter rods

ACL main bearings/Cosworth rod bearings

14mm headstud conversion

New 2009 Nitrited 2.5 crank modded/redrilled/center thrust setup/balance

Custom Cometic head gaskets

Cosworth Dry Sump Oiling System with external scavange pump

modified 12mm oil pickup pump

2008 STI Dual AVCS Heads with

Custom Kelford AVCS cams (nothing too wahoo)

inlet: 264 duration/ 10.95mm lift

exhaust: 260 duration/ 10.40mm lift

Compete internal valvetrain kit- comes with dual springs, ti retainers/keepers, +1mm oversized valves stainless intake/Inconel exhaust, new stem seals, and a new set of STI shimless buckets. This also includes the Cosworth part needed to run my front cam position sensor.

5 angle valvejob porting, and assembly with valve relash

Some pics Ron sent me a while ago

IMG_2819.jpg

IMG_2818.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

IMG_2811.jpg

So Ron has been getting pretty buisy of late and needed some space in his workshop so asked if it was OK to send my engine over without the Cosworth dry sump as they are being tits and taking their time with the manufactor of some of the components needed to which I agreed so I now have this sitting up the back

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

And just so I know its mine

IMG_0188.jpg

So Im off to go get changed and start bolting some bits onto it.

Will update this thread as I go

Graeme

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do love thease thread's some tasty bits and bobs, nice one Greame keep us updated and more pics ' would recommend running a fire extinguisher, however methanol and Nos, don't think it will help alot but it's there in case of the off chance the worse may happen touch wood.

just got me a set of them ngk plugs, scared to fit them now :thumbup:

The previous set of plugs I had were the 7B's and they were in for 30,000 miles so I recon I was just unlucky

Didnt get as much done as I wanted due to gassing to a few mates that popped round, I did get a few bits off my old engine cleaned up and painted so will get them on tomorrow once the paint has dried

I was going to fit my AP's but cant remember where I weft my locking wheel nut key....doh!!

Graeme

The previous set of plugs I had were the 7B's and they were in for 30,000 miles so I recon I was just unlucky

Didnt get as much done as I wanted due to gassing to a few mates that popped round, I did get a few bits off my old engine cleaned up and painted so will get them on tomorrow once the paint has dried

I was going to fit my AP's but cant remember where I weft my locking wheel nut key....doh!!

Graeme

Ahem Mr AA I seem to have a flat tyre or chap on a socket on the buggers. I am never ever ever having a set of locking wheel nuts on a car again thge buggers can nick the bloody wheels if they are brave enough.

Looking good G how did your tradesman get on with the interior?

How long till it's finished?? Mine is growing arms and legs :thumbup:

Aye Ciaran hes no got the interior fitted yet, hes been busy fixing the leak he had in the car and fitting a load of new parts, I think the interior is going to go in last once he has everything else right. John is well chuffed with it anyway.

Johnny, remind me to have a skinfull of guinness the night before you pop round....parp! :thumbup:

Graeme

That puts my mind at ease a bit, going to uprate a couple of other bits at the same time and give her a full service so all should come together nicely (hopefully)

If you need someone to come and take the piss as you skin yer knuckles gees a shout. Apparently my banter's legendary, just ask Colin.

Have been told much the same by my mate Paul. Pop round, let him buy me a chinese, then stand and watch as he fidgets with the kit car. Handing over the odd ringer or socket when he shouts.

G - I'm hereby offering you the same service.

So as the Pirelli add used to say "Power is nothing without control". So you have AP's, but what else do you have in mind to get all the power to Terra Firma. And in all reality, do you have any intention of going on any driver training courses, as even the great Walter Rohrl admits there is a limit to which any man can control, and this reply is aimed at all those with very large power outputs.

as even the great Walter Rohrl admits there is a limit to which any man can control, and this reply is aimed at all those with very large power outputs.

People are into weiner waving and figure chasing nowadays not how to drive a moderately powered car very well and get the best from it.

Not going to go huge power right away as I will be sticking with my old turbo (MD321T+) and injectors (800cc)to teach myself how to drive it again. It was a 450bhp with 400 odd lbs-ft of torque daily driver before it went off the road :P

I plan on getting the car Whiteline'd out its nut as Jac took me out in his car the other night and showed me what a properly set up car is like and it blew my mind with superb turn in and fantastic composure through the corners, so much bracing and polly bushing along with geomitery settings etc required !! :) before the car even starts getting mapped

I cant afford plated diffs just now but they will be on the cards for when I fit the bigger turbo that I bought tonight ;)

I dont fancy going as far as a cage just yet as that would just spoil its use as a road car IMHO.

Once the car is up and running I will be taking it slow and steady winding the power up in stages to prove both me and the engine are ready for the next step.