TMIC Fin Fun

Just thought I would share this with you all.

I can't afford to upgrade the TMIC to anything so best make do with what I have and unfortunatly what I have is a disaster area. Don't think any of the previous owners had ever bothered to look after it properly.

Click the pics for larger versions. Trying to keep the post forum friendly.

Here is the TMIC from when I bought the car last september and up untill a few weeks ago when I took this photo.

tmic_before_small.jpeg

A disaster area I think you'll agree.

So I decided to do something about it...

Ingrediants:

A toothpick,

A needle

Patience (lots and lots of)

Cramp (more of a side effect of doing this while it was still in the car but its my daily car)

A few weeks later I ended up with the following results after doing the last row of fins this morning.

tmic_after_small.jpeg

Point of this? None really. I doubt this will have any noticable effect on the performance of the car but it looks a lot better.

It was more one of those because I wanted to do it things.

If you clicky and see the larger before and afters you can see just how badley damaged some of the fins were and most will never sit staight again but thats as good as I can get them for now.

Granted it may have taken me about 6-8 hours total but hey it was never something that could be done quick. At least a quick check every now and then should keep it better.

And now to go to work.... the joys of backshift this week.

Ian 

Good tip, looks loads better, [:P

Regarding the cramp though, why didn't you remove the TMIC to do the work [*-)] or is it a case of no pain no gain[:)]

Removing it would have been a lot easier but as the car is my daily driver and I was only doing an hour here and there on it working on it while in the car was simpler. Taking it out and back in every time i needed to drive would have been worse.

Tempted to take it off once though to inspect the state of the fins underneath it and see if I can do anything with those.... yes you are allowed to call me sad lol

Looks good mate [y]

Did you take the a layer of the top of the fins? The very top edge (the folded down part that you have just pulled up and made neat) just piks of with a pair of tweezers or long nosed pliers, the bit the comes off is only about 2/3mm deep and usually the new top edge of the ic fins are in perfect condition. You probably noticed there were split anyway.

You probably wont notice much difference in power/speed but you car will enjoy the lower charge temps. [:)]

Sorry Terzo that would be a no... It just takes to damn long! lol

[:S] 

During the straightening (and re-moulding the downright ridiculous in some cases) I noticed that in some of the more damaged places the second layer of fins was also damaged. For the most part I tried to make sure that even the second layer were also corrected and that all fins lined up.

As for just removing the top layer... never crossed my mind. Would have been a lot simple but wouldn't that reduce the cooling ability?