TSL Thundercat WRC catted Downpipe!

Folks managed to get one of these for the 555 (thanks Boris B[Y]) and just seeking some advice about the remap situation.

Obviously ideally I should get it mapped for perfection just now if I fit this (along with the decatted up-pipe) but, would it be OK to run for a while until I can afford the remap or best wait to fit everything when the remap is being done?

Cal is this what you have???

Gus 

I'd imagine it would - but maybe use plenty of Octane Booster to be on the safe side.  You got a knocklink or any gauges in the car?  AFR?

Not that these would be much use if destruction was imminent...

Mine is running a full decat system, up and downpipes but had mods to sort out the fuelling and boost. 

Maybe ask Andy F?

You've also got the issue now that the Apexi PFC is no longer made for the early classics [;)]  but apparently according to one mag (Jap Performance I think it was) someone is bout to start importing them so maybe a new model is on the way.

No worries - good luck.  When Andy looked at my car and it was road tested and run with all the wires, gear and sensors he said with the mods it was running exactly as he would map it with a PFC so there are alternatives too [;)]

People sell PFC's anyway, so you'd get one.  And I'm sure Andy will have a few ideas.

Brian [:D

The Apesi PFC is no longer made because Apexi Japan is no longer trading and waiting for someone to take over the company as i was told by the garage in Hong Kong who deals with him......

But i think he might have some in stock tho and if yous i want i can contact him to find out.

Peter

Gus,

Before I got my apexi and mapped by Andy, I had fitted a full decat, RCM headers and larger fuel pump, i asked Andy about driving before the map he advised to keep it off boost until mapped.

Oh - I was speak to Andy this morning and he will be out of the country mapping until 30th April [:D]

Alan.

Gus, does your 555 have a cat in the up pipe? I thought all the classics had decatted uppipes and that the cats were in the DP and the centre section.

Correct.

No up pipe in a JDM STI

Excellent news![Y] ah well thats one less piece of kit to buy. Wasnt aware of that one (and hadnt looked tbh[:$]) thats more dosh towards the remap then[:D]

Squirrel, do you think I best wiait until I get to the remap time before I fit the DP?

Gus 

Gus, does your 555 have a cat in the up pipe? I thought all the classics had decatted uppipes and that the cats were in the DP and the centre section.

Correct.

No up pipe in a JDM STI

Excellent news![Y] ah well thats one less piece of kit to buy. Wasnt aware of that one (and hadnt looked tbh[:$]) thats more dosh towards the remap then[:D]

Squirrel, do you think I best wiait until I get to the remap time before I fit the DP?

Gus 

Give me a phone tomorrow after 7ish and i will tell you best course of action

Most of the V2 STI's respond well to a Decat on the std ECU, as long as the std Airbox is left in place but some can have boost control or AFR issues leading to Det.

A check for noise and fuelling will need to be done after the pipe is fitted, book the car into god for him to check it over with the det cans and wideband to make sure she is fuelling safe enough and has no signs of Det after the pipe has been fitted.  In the time between fitting of pipe and God having a look at her use V-Power and Millers octane booster as a safety measure

A Scoobyecu by Scott Taylor may be the thing you are after if the std does not repond well to the decat pipe

I do indeed have the exact same set up and it ROCKS ! Anti-lag proof too apparently !

Staying off boost is actually VERY easy - i thought it would be tricky but it was a breeze

Best piece of kit I have shoved on my car since ownership in Jan 2005

I only run V-power now though ( OB only added for the 1% of the time when I "d-i-s-c-o")

Cheers

CGS