IMPORTS AND SMALL NUMBER PLATES Regulation 14A

Do you have an Imported Car with smaller Jap style Number Plates?? if so read on.

Caution it's a Very long story but If bored already or fall asleep easy then go straight to "BUT" from there it just long.

Department of Transport Regulation 14 governs the standards for UK Vehicle Number plates. Regulation 14A was a concession for Imported Vehicles that the standard long thin UK Plates didn't fit.

I always kept a print out from DVLA web site to show the Regulation 14A to Police who want to give me a fixed Penalty under Regulation 14 ;) I had given my only copy to someone at Trax so went to get another copy off the DVLA web site. Well Reg. 14 is but not Reg. 14A!!!!! ;)

See here http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/v796.pdf

I spoke to the DVLA who said the site was recently updated and converted the form V796 into PDF format. I explained but only shows Reg 14 and not 14A as on the previous Form. I was then asked to contact DOT and request the Regulation 14A from them, which I did and have received it, not a problem you would think.

BUT

As I had asked for the form V796 to be amended to include Reg.14A as it was originally. The DVLA rang me back saying V796 form would not be amended to include 14A and the only way to get Reg.14A was by contacting the DOT. I kept pushing the person for an answer "WHY?" They finally said because 14A is no longer required because UK Plates will fit all Imports. So I asked "Will 14A soon be dropped from the regulations" the reply was "not yet" so "Evo" "Jap" style Plates may soon be illegal.

I have made a complaint to DOT basically saying hiding a regulation is not being open and honest. It also probably contravenes the Freedom Of Information Act section 16 and or Government Statutory codes of practice sections 45 & 46.

If you would like a copy of the Regulation 14A that is hid in a filing cabinet by the back stairs at the DOT please E-mail vehicles.dvla@gtnet.gov.uk with subject title Regulation 14A. If nobody Emails and requests Reg 14A the next stop for it is the Bin :(

Told you it was long!

Tony

so as a tax payer, the question is:-

with so many cloned, uninsured, untaxed, and just generally illegal/dangerous cars on the roads, are we getting value for out taxes. This department obviously has time to mess about with this sort of thing, where owners of imported cars are complying with the law and doing no-one any harm whatsoever.

We should have all of these petty minded officials shot.

Well done Tony. I've spent the past two nights trawling though the DVLA website, trying to find a copy of this. It was there 2-3 weeks ago, but has now vanished. Now I know why. Emailed them for a copy. Cheers

This is the link Robocop  found [:P] not sure how long it will be there for

Tony