Offshore Help...

I'm pissed off doing what I'm doing just now, thats why I've taken time out in Australia to kind of get my head straight. I'm looking to start a new career... and want to explore the possibility of going offshore.

I'm willing to start from the bottom of the ladder etc, doing the sh@tty jobs first.. but have been told that I need to get my RGIT, I think thats what its called anyway?!  I'm not sure how to do this, or who to get in touch with to get more info about it.. so was wondering if anyone on here could give me few pointers??

Also, I know its not defo that I'd get a job once I got my course completed, but surely there is a good chance that companies will be looking for a little bitch to tidy stuff up??!  Hahaha!!

Any help is very welcome. icon_smokin.gifsmile011.gif

Cheers,

Grant

Alright mate dunno if its what your lookin for but aramak are recruiting people for offshore stewards don`t know what the job involve i think its housekeepin on the rigs. Salary is bout 22G a year ill see if i can find you a contact but if you got the job wi them i think they will put you thro the RGIT. The RGIT i think is bout 300 (just been told by one of the guys here that he thought it was more like 700 tho.) for the course. I know its done in aberdeen at robert gordon. Just went one the montrose website www.rgitmontrose.com  inc vat the basic offshore survivak for 3 day course is £608.65. have a look on there website or phone them for info on what you would need. I also know BP offshore are looking for operators dunno what experience you have tho. PM me if you want any info i work at innovene in grangemouth most of my mates are offshore. Greig

Grant

After having done it for15 years, my advice is dont do it.

If you are going to go this way, try and get overseas as UK rigs are shocking now, compared to what they were 15 years ago.

Also the money in uk water is cr4p compared to overseas.......

Craig

If you are going to go this way, try and get overseas as UK rigs are shocking now, compared to what they were 15 years ago.

Also the money in uk water is cr4p compared to overseas.......

Craig

I cannot tell a lie - the money is slightly better overseas[;)]

Russell

as im sure u are aware grant im not long started offshore in the north sea. (a year)

it is one of these things thats it hard to initially get into but once ur in a job it's simple to move about all u need is somebody to give u that initial start

when people say the money is crap they mean u can go abroad and earn 70k plus in your hand depending on what u do but the uk sector still pays pretty reasonably for the amount of time ur off.

my rig is hopefully going 2 weeks on 3 weeks off later on this year and how many jobs do u know that let alone give u that much time off and pay u alot more than ur average job.

iv been offshore abou a year now and love it but if ur a lover of an easy life and are used to ur creature comforts u may struggle!!

give us an idea of some of ur background and il have a look at jobs that may be suitable to ur needs.

i work as an inst tech and the average wage is not much shy of 50k is that crap money???

its ok saying go over sea`s guys but getting a job over seas isnt that

easy especially for a guy  like grant just starting out , ive never

been over seas but wouldent mind doing it , going by what ive heard at

least over seas you dont get safety rammed up yer ar$e 24/7 [:o]

Yea, as Acid has said.. I dont have too much of a 'hands-on' background, I can work on cars etc.... but my Job History has been mostly in Sales, both B2B and B2C. Thats why I'm not bothered about starting at the bottom of the ladder as far as a job goes, because I know I dont have any relevant experience, I'm hoping that it will get my foot in the door as best I can.. I believe there is a stronger chance of moving up the ladder within the company & receiving training that way, than applying for jobs that are currently 'above' me and getting nowhere.

I assume that because there is more money/better conditions to be had overseas.... that leaves the odd gap here and there to fill in 'home waters' for people like me.... Hopefully!! lol!! [:o]

Cheers,

Grant

Grant, i'd personally aim a little higher than Aramark. They take care of the accomodation services offshore (catering, cleaning , laundry etc) but if i were you i'd try get into the drilling or well services side of things. PSL and Weatherford are two well services companies i know who have recruited a couple of my mates without experience. Your best bet of a production job is with somebody like Brown & Root or Petrofac. That's only the tip fo the iceberg however, have a look on www.oilcareers.com to see if anything takes your fancy.

their is a thought as a Petrofac employee i have noticed they are recruiting like mad in my case i believe it's for us going 2 and 3 with any luck.

employing people as trainees who have little or no experience and get trained up over 3 years.

might be worth phoning a few companys grant see what they say. il keep my ears open for ya as im back 2 work 2moro :o

• 6 years later...

<P>as im sure u are aware grant im not long started offshore in the north sea. (a year)</P>

<P>it is one of these things thats it hard to initially get into but once ur in a job it's simple to move about all u need is somebody to give u that initial start</P>

<P>when people say the money is crap they mean u can go abroad and earn 70k plus in your hand depending on what u do but the uk sector still pays pretty reasonably for the amount of time ur off.</P>

<P>my rig is hopefully going 2 weeks on 3 weeks off later on this year and how many jobs do u know that let alone give u that much time off and pay u alot more than ur average job.</P>

<P>iv been offshore abou a year now and love it but if ur a lover of an easy life and are used to ur creature comforts u may struggle!!</P>

<P>give us an idea of some of ur background and il have a look at jobs that may be suitable to ur needs.</P>

<P>i work as an inst tech and the average wage is not much shy of 50k is that crap money???</P>

hi im realy keen to get a job offshore I was gonna do it when I left the army but decide to be closer to my son instead hes six now and im in full time employment as a personal development worker I do like it but is very much out of my comfort zone I miss army life but wont sing up because of his mum worring and iv been intrested in working offshore for years now time to crack on and get there have you got any advice

I think I need to start at entry level same as everyone else and would prefer to get some tips on how to go about it ????

Yelp - good resurrection, min!

Firstly remember 'Offshore' isn't a job - offshore is a place where people do loads of different jobs.

Find out what interests you and what is related to what ye did in the army.

Me, I work in drilling, started offshore but now on land rigs - really like it - but that's what I was sure I wanted to do, I wasn't interested in getting into anything else and that nearly scuppered my career before it started. But there's also Production which I believe could be more related to yer traditional trades type work.

Getting a survival ticket will probably help but is no guarantee. Try Nutec or Petrofac training in Aberdeen for the course.

Agencies definitely a good way to go but ye'd probably need your "Greenhands" roustabout course and getting that first trip is always going to be difficult.

But could I go back offshore? Nae chance, I've done my time on the rusty tin cans (for now)

The offshore industry is the bizarrest industry I have ever known. A friend who lives in Aberdeen and is also an Aircraft Engineer tried to get a job offshore. He found that despite there being more jobs than people to fill them many companies were very reluctant to take someone from another industry regardless of whether the transferable skills were almost an identical match to some engineering jobs offshore. He did as I had done, and produced documentation that showed the skills match and sent it to various agencies without any success.I went through this myself and gave up and remained with Aircraft.

The offshore industry is the bizarrest industry I have ever known. A friend who lives in Aberdeen and is also an Aircraft Engineer tried to get a job offshore. He found that despite there being more jobs than people to fill them many companies were very reluctant to take someone from another industry regardless of whether the transferable skills were almost an identical match to some engineering jobs offshore. He did as I had done, and produced documentation that showed the skills match and sent it to various agencies without any success.I went through this myself and gave up and remained with Aircraft.

I know the feeling. 23 years in the RAF as aircraft tech, qualifications in QA, Continuous Improvement, Management, Genral engineering.... etc and i'm in an office in dyce checking reports made by the guys offshore.

They are slowly realising i can do things without having my hand held and gave me an 18% rise and promotion after 6 months so i didn't walk. There are still times i sit an shake my head at how things work and the amount of cash they waste on things though.

There are times i think it would be easier to say i have no qualifications at all.... train me! and i'd have more chance of getting an offshore job