[OT again] Wireless networks.

Sorry for straying off-topic again, that's what comes of not owning an Impreza any more [:o]

Anyway, as per title, wireless networking. By definition, as we're on here we're all connected to the Internet.. it's good, isn't it? Especially with the new-fangled broadband gubbins.

But it can be a bad thing.. I was setting up a laptop with wireless capability at the weekend, and was surprised to find a completely open wireless network when I did a site survey. Basically, one of my neighbours has got a broadband connection with a wireless access point, and hasn't taken any precautions to stop me hijacking their connection to the Internet and using it for whatever I see fit.

Now, this could be great for me, I could load up some software and download music (or worse) until my hard drives filled up, all completely free. However, as I'm basically an honest chap, I'll try and find out whose network it is and offer to secure it for them. This doesn't always work, however, a colleague of mine tried this and got told to p!iss off. He still uses their unsecured network for large downloads..

Back to the point of the post.. if you've got a wireless network, have you bothered to try and secure it? Whilst it's difficult to make a network completely secure, it's not hard to discourage casual intruders.. you wouldn't leave the ignition keys in the car, would you, so why would you leave your computer open to anyone who happens to walk past?

Just my tuppence worth..

Cheers,

Plug

I know of a load of people who can pick up open connection wireless networks from their neighbours. I've got a 40 odd letter password protecting mine, Don't want any Tom Dick or Harry getting on. Its not just the downloading, If they've got filesharing enabled on their PC then you can raid all their personal files as well. [:o]

I have a wireless network ,how do you set up a password to protect it ?

if you run the setup console or log on to the http address on the setup page, you'll have the choice of encryption or selecting mac address under security.

mac address is the best way to go to prevent unauthorised access, if your worried about someone sniffing the data going over wireless, which could only be done by someone whos pretty advanced in networking then encryption settings along with mac address access list,

mac address is a unique number allocated to your network card, sometimes called network address can be found under wireless untils installed with drivers.

security on wireless is a must, has you mentioned anyone one can use your connection should you leave it open

when setting up security on wireless there is 2 parts to it , setup on netgear router and then setup on pc itself

when you set your router up you will loose your wireless connection cause your pc is not setup the same, you then have to set your wireless card up with the same settings as you added to router.

if you set up a wep value of 12345 you have to go into the wireless card setup and set the same value on the wep part of card

this link gives a good explantion and screen shots too

http://www.uth.tmc.edu/itsecurity/wireless...uritySteps.html

I have a NetGear Wireless ADSL Router, and use 128-bit static WEP Keys, and a MAC address based access list that allows my machines in my house only, plus I have turned down the transmit power so the Wireless cell is contained within my house as much as possible. Would prefer to use more security, but thats about as advanced as the kit allows me to get..... static WEP keys can usually be cracked in a few minutes, depending on how busy the network is. Key crackers usually require between 200,000 and 500,000 packets to be sniffed in order to get the key, and MAC addresses can be spoofed by rogue users, so its not bullet proof. But then my neighbour is a chef, and a nice bloke to so I think I am ok and the other side is someones garden...

Being a network engineer you can get a bit paranoid about these things [:D]

Following on from this, my tenants hve just put in a broadband connection and they have said I can have use of it if I supply the hardware. How do I connect two laptops and one desktop to this? Currently there is a box with a USB port in it which one of the laptops uses to get on-line.

MT. I would recommend that you invest in an ADSL router with Wireless capability. If the ADSL line terminates in your tennants room they can connect their machines directly to the router using cat5 cable, you can then connect over wireless in your part of the house. As long as you use some security measures you should have no problems. I would also suggest you change the WEP key every now and again, depending on how much you use it. If you are a heavy user, then every 2-4 weeks, if not then every 4-8 weeks.

Something like this...http://www.netgear.co.uk/extra/h_wirelessrouter_dg834g.php would be good, as it has a 4-port hub in the back, wireless and firewall features to protect you from nasties on the internet. I have the same at home and I have found it to be very good for general home use, and not too pricey either.

You will also need to buy Wireless cards for your computers as well, unless they are already wireless enabled. (Most modern laptops are enabled by default using Intel Centrino)

This means that you ditch the box with the USB connection on it, and use the NetGear instead.