The "little questions" topic

What is the legality of radar detectors in the IoM?

Although i don't intend speeding in the restricted areas (and the de-restricted is indeed, de-restricted) i will probably have one for the journey to and from the ferry (UK-side). France won't even allow you to carry one in the car (let alone use it), so what about the IoM?

mb

As far as I know they are the same as UK. ie legal to own one. There are shops here (IOM) that sell them openly so it must be OK.

Just watch out with mobile phones here as it is an offence to use one whilst driving (up to £1000 fine) and the police are pretty hot at catching you.

Look forward to seeing you all in September!

I made some discreet enquiries and the official reply is "It is not a specific offence but it may constitute the offence of not being in complete control of the vehicle. The Constabulary's advice would be don't do it. Hope this assists you."

Not too sure what this means ie if you were seen using one would you be stopped?

The bobbies here aren't too bad though. Depending on who is driving the Integra type R they will even give you a bit of a race over the mountain!

• 2 weeks later...

Vinny,

not yet I'm afriad, but there are several garages which sell Super Unleaded. The Shell garage just a mile from the Hilton is owned and run by a local SIDC member who will also be taking part in the event. He is making sure that he has more than enough stocks of Super Unleaded for the weekend.

Cheers

John

VinnyP

i asked Shell about the posssibility of getting Optimax to the IoM, but it would have been rather pricey (double the cost, plus transport fees )

Also, be aware that you can't carry extra fuel on the ferry!

Thus, octane booster seems like the only way for folks like yourselves (i hope that they are legal on the ferry!)?

Still, the island isn't very big, so you can cram the fun into a worthwhile time!!!

mb

Does anyone know (or have a pointer to) any customs limits when going to and from the IoM?

i.e. does it count as part of the UK (e.g. no limits), the EU (e.g. personal consumption) or other (e.g. 1 litre of spirits etc.)?

mb

I think that i have found my own answer to the above.

From http://www.isle-of-man.com/generalinformat...ion&legal.shtml...

<< European relationship - The Isle of Man is not part of the European Union, but has a special relationship set out in Protocol 3 of the Act of Accession, annexed to the Treaty of Accession 1972, by which the United Kingdom became a member of the EEC. Under the above Protocol, the Isle of Man is part of the customs territory of the Union and it follows that the Common Customs Tariff, levies and other agricultural import measures apply to trade between the Isle of Man and non-member countries and that there is free movement of goods in trade between the Isle of Man and the Union as regards industrial and agricultural products. >>

Thus it seems like there are no (reasonable) restrictions as to the amount of goods that you can bring in or take out.

mb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You should have received your ferry tickets and basic itinerary through from Magic Holidays if you have paid the balance. If not, then please contact Magic Holidays.

Not sure on the final numbers, but it's over 30 cars, including a couple of Lotus Elises (smarties!) who are joining us

Less than a week to go now

John

Not long to go, spoke to Pam about the track day confirmation, she said that they do not send out confirmation by post & assured me we are on the list

Did not recieve an itenary with the tickets, will there be some instructions for Thursday night when we arrive?

Cheers

Paul