The N/A forester wasn't far behind at 285!   Impreza expected to be the same next month.

But rather have them still on the road for driving enjoyment and ability ( even without a turbo) rather than a lower tax but modern gutless and anonymous motor thats full of " infotainment" gizmos to con the buyers.  Read a car mag the other day in the dentist and it suggested a lower 20 pound tax rate on X was a reason to buy that rather than buy  car Z that was 40 pound tax!. ( can't remember what make/ models but obviously bland anonymous cars for the masses)   Think it was meant to be a serious comparison and recommendation LOL! 

Edited by ccrien
2 hours ago, johnmacdonald said:

Joke is that my 2011 306 bhp Merc C350 V6 AMG coupe (petrol) was only £180 last time and it is quick! I know it's  all to do with emissions- shame Subaru couldn't improve on current STi. Still wouldn't dream of selling It!

That's why we went from 2.0Lturbo to 2.5lturbo with 2ndry air injection to try and comply. Boxers by nature are bad. Next stop 1.6L turbo hybrid.............

18 hours ago, ccrien said:

The N/A forester wasn't far behind at 285!   Impreza expected to be the same next month.

But rather have them still on the road for driving enjoyment and ability ( even without a turbo) rather than a lower tax but modern gutless and anonymous motor thats full of " infotainment" gizmos to con the buyers.  Read a car mag the other day in the dentist and it suggested a lower 20 pound tax rate on X was a reason to buy that rather than buy  car Z that was 40 pound tax!. ( can't remember what make/ models but obviously bland anonymous cars for the masses)   Think it was meant to be a serious comparison and recommendation LOL! 

Mine is around 285 too and I agree with every word here said ccrien ! :D worth it to avoid the 'blandmobiles' any day ... 

2 hours ago, ScoobieFloz said:

:stena:

I still can’t believe they get away with using CO2 as a means of Taxing motorists. CO2 is not even a pollutant :(, it’s a gas the entire planet needs to survive. No CO2, no plants.

Ha, so if trees had a voice they would thank us lot for driving Subaru's !   

Seriously it reinforces John's original point, CO2 rates are manufacturers figures, totally theoretical and per mile or kilometre. The taxation issue totally ignores how many miles that particular car drives in a year, or worse still how long it's stuck with in traffic queues in the real world, with correspondingly more CO2 per mile.   So why does a theoretical CO2 output per mile determined be actual tax paid, irrespective of how far driven therefore how much CO2 actually produced?

said it before, my old tech flat four driven on mainly empty rural / semi rural roads at smart but efficient speeds, will do a lot better at actual emissions than most modern cars stuck in jams or with their direct injection ( petrol) engines rapidly coking and choking up the inlet manifolds and valves giving nowt like the manufacturers claims for CO 2 on a clean NEW engine!

Agree entirely. I am now 70 years old, live in rural east Herts and very, very rarely drive in rush hours and go no where near London. If visiting other cities, always aim for a park and ride.  £520 is not fair value for such limited mileage. However, hope to enjoy the STi for another 10 years or so...

• 3 weeks later...

I reckon I know the reason the Boxers are so bad. Having driven from Turkey at 130mph on th autobahns I got spectacular fuel economy. Weird. Better at 130mph than at 70? Yes.

The real reason our cars are so thirsty is pumping losses. We spend almost all our time on virtually closed throttles, with big pistons trying to suck a cylinder full past the closed throttle and inlet tract and turbo, etc. 

Comparison. Nissan Micra. 

Micra to drive at steady 50mph. about 13bhp.

Impreza STi to do the same.       20bhp.  Bigger tyres and a bit more drag.

Micra to generate 13bhp in top gear needs probably half to 3/4 throttle. Hence if you drive at 50mph and floor it nothing happens.

Scooby is virtually on closed throttle, in either 5th or 6th. Touch the pedal and the horizon comes at you rapidly.  

Micra has a dinky manual box and narrow tyres. to put 13bhp down it needs to make 18-20bhp at the crank. Thus the fuel economy is 50-60mpg.

Impreza has AWD, big tyres and three differentials. To make that 20bhp at the road it probably puts out 35bhp at the crank. Hence Drive like a nun and you'll still not get 30mpg. 

Thus manufacturers are getting into little engines and selective cylinder operation.

Can't really do that with a Boxer.

We're fooked.