Rusty lower radiator panel

So, I changed my cam belt and took the opportunity to de-gas and change out the leaking condenser too. On inspection, the lower radiator panel, mounting brackets top and bottom and front of the subframe and also inner bumper are all rotten. Nice.

Rest of the car is nice and cleaned, undersealed and waxoiled. 

So, now ordered new upper and lower rad panels, front stay and new brackets too. Bumper will go to be blasted and powder coated in primer and subframe likewise in black.

I'd check your cars out under the front, it's not pleasant. The metal is cheap and plentiful in stock at Subaru...I suspect mine isn't the first to need attention. 

Had a good look today and really should have ordered a full front panel. Ho Hum. Front edge of roof is showing rust too. Why Subaru have to skimp painting the bloody shells so badly is beyond me.. It's quite dark as a lot of ACF-50 had been applied to the rusty areas when I first saw them to stop it getting any worse.

Anyway. In the body shop now so I'll get a few pics of it with the front cut out tomorrow. Can't wait to get it back on the road to be honest. Not driven it for 5 months now.

IMG_7688.JPG

Wow well its' in the right place now and with getting those bits sorted she will look amazing again and your be glad your back on the road :DI'm going to be putting mine in the end of year for a full strip down a body spray started noticing bits on mine are slowly getting eaton away I am lucky it' only just started after 20years it can soon take hold... pics when she' finished good luck:thumbs:

He's going at the remaining rust with a miniature sand blasting set before welding all the new panels back on this afternoon. Should be ready to paint tomorrow. Then the fun starts working out which bolt goes where... It'll rest over the weekend and get a full underseal and wax oiling before re-assembly.

To be honest, the metal around the front is painfully thin. I know modern cars are designed to implode if a pedestrian is anywhere near, but even this surprised me.

As you say, it's in the right place to be sorted. 

Edited by markjharris

OK to be fair. I should pop it off and powder coat it to be honest while I've got the chance. Edit: looked this morning and it's fine. Just light surface rust, but for £14 I'll replace it anyway. Ordered a genuine Subaru middle gauge pod too. More money I don't have right now....

Edited by markjharris
  • 4 weeks later...

Indeed. Looks new now. I'm just sorting the ride height in this weather as the new struts are 20mm shorter than the last ones.  My mistake. On full length they sit lower than O.E. and I'd forgot that as I'd ordered the last ones +60mm on standard. The helper springs are now fully compressed and i will probably just run without them from now on.

Just bought a 6.7litre vacuum pump to do oil changes and stuff. Works a treat to vacuum bleed brakes.