Advice On Rear Braking Plates

Hi there, Im looking for some advice on my rear back braking plates on my 2001 wrx. They are really corroded and starting to curl up and one side looks as if it may start dragging on the rear brake disc. As they are probably necessary with our fine weather then is it better to replace them or can they be restored with powder coating or whatever. Any comments welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Had to replace mine recently.. Found the cost to get replacements too much, ended up fabricating new ones, surprisingly one even came from an old metal microwave dish. Turned out it was perfect size for the rear disc!

Many people run their cars without the plates, but I kinda like to keep them, just to help protect the calipers/pads from debris.

FYI - The fronts are bolted on, where as Don rightly pointed out the rears spot welded in place.

reccomend giving replacements a good protection as they do collect a lot of dirt which leads to corrosion.

Hi there Sco - thanks for the advice. I have just got them tidied up just now as I had the same problem as you about pricey replacements. Its good to know they could maybe be made up from something at a lesser cost. Rust is the enemy with our weather.