Fuel And Oil Additives

In general, Subaru engines are powerful with a lot of torque. But do fuel additives and oil additives provide any benefit? I used to have an Alfa with a 1.7 flat-four and this was ok with these.

I was thinking of trying an injector cleaner. I've used these on my former cars because the kerosene in it cleans the injectors adding a bit of torque and making it more efficient on fuel and increasing responsiveness.

Also, there's an oil additive I've used that was a brilliant non-PTFE type which seriously improved torque and made the engine much more responsive and tight.

Does anyone here use injector cleaner or oil additives on a Subaru flat four engine?

Nice one. Interesting, Thanks for your valued opinion. I thought I'd give the injectors a clean - probably NEVER been done as my car has been garaged lots and had an older chap own it who did few miles.

Having owned five Imprezas since 1998, have never used additives, but all have been fed on Shell Optimax, now V-Power Nitro. No problems so far! I'm not so far south of Cambridge. Where are you?

John

Edited by joshuajames

Put some Wynns stop smoke in 5 years ago after my car got diagnosed with ringland failure, bore scoring and poor compression. Before the additive was added the car was using 1 litre of oil per month and failed the last MOT on emissions. Car has run fine since lol and now uses a litre of oil per year! - even though I have 100bhp more!

Can carbon deposits etc seal up a cylinder???

I've used this before too and it certainly improved compression on my prior car. That's why I wondering about these additives on a high powered Subaru engine because they do seem to seal and tighten up the engine. Injector cleaners certainly work I've found when I dropped one into a bowl of this additive type.

Once a year i use an additive - on the fling when we can't get decent fuel. Then a bottle of Octane Booster comes in handy.

The only other additive used is by the garage to clear the injectors and fuel system so the can can scrape through th eemmisions test!

Apart from that decent oil and fuel and all should be well. Though i do know of a few who have theirs mapped for an ethanol mix so they need an additive everytime they fill up.