I've just noticed that for Feburary Subaru US sold 34,909 up 24% at a time when car sales in the US are flat. Forrester sales have doubled and now account for 1/3 of all sales and 60% of buyers are new to Subaru.

Now i know they've had some bad weather over there this winter and i'm sure Subaru will have played on that and the 4 wheel drive safety bit (like Audi do over here) and they still have a Rally Team in the US which as we know is good publicity. They also built a new factory over there to cut the import costs and make it an 'amercan product'.

If they can sell that many in a month in America it's no wonder they can't be bothered with the UK anymore. With high exchange rates, dodgy engines and some dealers who deny there's ever been an issue i'm amazed they still have a footprint here in the UK.

Discuss.... <_<

Most Subaru models probably faired well considering but bet the Impreza uk sales will be poor. But no where near as bad as 2011. Not having a saloon from 2008 till 2011, £34K, 2.5ltr and £440 tax and fuel prices really killed off sales. IMHO

I reckon the new model will do well at £27K but they need to lower tax bracket and have the 2.0ltr DIT version.

Tony

I did look but couldn't the figures for the UK for last year. That figure for Feb would probably be more than they sold here in the whole year.

If the new model had the 2.0L engine I'd think about it but paying £500 a year tax isn't happening, it's bad enough with 2 Impreza's and a Shitroen to tax.

If a decent diesel was an option I might think about that..... or a tuned diesel STI model would be good. BMW and Alpina can manage it or even Skoda with the Ocatvia VRS I'm sure Subaru could come up with a decent package. It would certainly help with the sales figures.

Problem is, Subaru don't spend any money here on promoting their excellent range of cars - have they ever mounted a TV or serious newspaper advertising promotion? Meanwhile, me and my wife receive endless mailings and emails from International Motors and two local dealers telling us how good their products are. They should realise that we probably agree, having owned five Imprezas since 1998!! Mind you, same goes for my superb Japanese built Honda Accord 2.4 iVtec. They promote the Jazz, Civic and their SUVs, but never the Accord and no doubt that's why Accords are a rare sight. In the US the Acura (Accord) sells extremely well..

John

I know hat you mean I have loads of emails from the local dealers and last time I looked they had some decent cars in and some them looked to be quite reasonably priced. Problem for them they're a Ford dealer as well and the Subaru's are always tucked away at the back.

Even when I was after a new car they weren't that good. I drove up in the Blobeye with full rally graffix and they treat me like I'd never seen an Impreza before. First he denied there'd been any engine issues then he blamed it on 'boy racers' who tune them, apparently they aren't supposed to be tuned up! After that I left went home made a call and bought an import for £12,000 less than the dealer wanted for a ex-demonstrator that had been thrashed by lord knows how many people, though they were being nice knocking £3,000 off but if I wanted the boot with the big spoiler on that would be £1,000 more.

Can't help but thi they'd sell more if they did a decent advertising campaign.... Mags like Evo and Top Gear love them but they never seem to use the reviews they get except in emails to folk who already have one.