Knock Hill

Ok all you knock hill pros I have just watched some of the vids on you tube and think I would like to have a go just need some advise I have never done a track day before and will prob b slow and not that shoure what to take lol and would it b best to wate till better wether or dose that mater for newbies to track days lol

The knockhill sidc track days are excellent for all levels of driver skills. I have been to a few in the past albeit as a passenger but the drivers skills have varied. As long as you are aware of what's going on around you then you will be fine. It used to be that if you had the right hand indicator on and kept to the side people knew you were either on a cool down lap or having a slow lap and respected that. Am sure this is still the case and one of the regulars can confirm or correct. In terms of what to take make sure you have a comfy pair of driving shoes and if you don't have a helmet you can hire one there.

Knockhill do private sessions where you can go out with an expert and they will give you advice on racing line if you prefer to do something like that prior to an sidc day or I think you can go out with experts at sidc days as well.

Am sure that if you haven't already had some pax laps with sidc guys then people will let you pax with them to get you used to what it's like during track time.

Hope this info helps.

Chris

Knockhill is a great starter track, tight to the left and pull right into the corners, and floor it, knochill is hard on your nearside tyres and brakes but you will be having so much fun you wont care, im hoping to get my hawk sorted out for next year with new droplinks and lowered, been round a fair few times on bike, skyline and classic

I always preferred knockhill in the rain. Less grip - more fun - less tyre damage. :)

I'm no pro, done a couple of SIDC days and a couple of trackscotland days there.

It doesn't matter if you are the fastest or the slowest, what matters is the fun you have out there.

You'll probably find the first couple of laps a bit daunting and there are rules on overtaking (not in corners, nor under braking and only in the three straights) as Chris says, be aware if those around you and if someone's caught you up, you just indicate right, pull over to the right (lifting off is optional ;))

I'd say definitely get down to the trackdays that are organised here, go speak to as many folk as possible and get pax laps in different cars as well as going out yourself.

At most days there is an instructor who will be happy to go out with you and give you pointers on lines, braking and your technique.

• Upvote 1

this a good one bry as i was looking at a sidc knockhill track day too. what do you need to take ? helmet and what else?. ive done rallying years ago, karting and stock cars but never done a track day. what does it cost? fuel wise do you need jerry cans to top up so your not driving with a full tank? is it worth taking spare wheels and tires for the track?

excuse my ignorance :Wales-flag:

There is a shell garage near knockhill so can always fuel up there. I suppose it is really up to you in terms of what to take. If you have track wheels then take them and am sure someone will let you put the other wheels in there car. Might be worth taking some spare oil but apart from that then I don't think you really need anything else other than a helmet. You are £115 for a member slot. Just make sure your brakes are in good shape.

I am sure the seasoned track experts will be along with good advice

Chris

There is a shell garage near knockhill so can always fuel up there. I suppose it is really up to you in terms of what to take. If you have track wheels then take them and am sure someone will let you put the other wheels in there car. Might be worth taking some spare oil but apart from that then I don't think you really need anything else other than a helmet. You are £115 for a member slot. Just make sure your brakes are in good shape.

I am sure the seasoned track experts will be along with good advice

Chris

Some tracknights are only 45 quid

Hi,

Can understand the overwhelming concerns and questions. its a big leap taking your car on track for a number of reasons:

- will people crash into me

- will i crash into them

- will i be OK at it

- i dont know what i am doing

- what about the wear on my car

- what about insurance

- what about fuel

- what happens if my car pops

- what do i need

You could get yourself into a royal funk about it when really just think of this

1. Buy your ticket

2. Check over your car for leaks, faults, issues

3. Either buy or dont buy track insurance

4. Wear long sleeves

5. Take money for refreshments & helmet hire

6. Fill up the car at Powmill before hand

7. go out on track at your own pace

8. follow what other people do

9. dont get cocky

10. have fun !!!

follow Chris's advice mate, I really emjoyed my first stint there this year in the rain, made it a lot easier on the tyres and everyone was being a bit more considerate so was a great intro. Il be doing a few next year, alomst certainly the first one so feel free to come along and have a pax :)

dont want the fuel to drop much below a third of a tank or you will start to get it cutting out in the corners :)

follow Chris's advice mate, I really emjoyed my first stint there this year in the rain, made it a lot easier on the tyres and everyone was being a bit more considerate so was a great intro. Il be doing a few next year, alomst certainly the first one so feel free to come along and have a pax :)

dont want the fuel to drop much below a third of a tank or you will start to get it cutting out in the corners :)

Early start for u dave at 3.31 am lol

Just to add, at the SIDC days there's usually a knockhill instructor available who will go out with you for some basic instruction free of charge.

Track Scotland days use hamish, that you book in half hour slots, there is a small charge for this but it's a far more advanced instruction.

But the main thing is to enjoy it