Engine Check Light After Filling Up With Tesco Momentum

Hi guys,

As title suggests, petrol light came on, swung in to tescos and put in some of their 99 Ron momentum. 10 minutes later, the engine check light came on, maybe pure coincidence, but this is the first time ive used that brand.

I googled the problem, and I'm not the only one that this has happend to with a 04 wrx, and it's happened to various other makes too.

Obviously I will get the codes read just incase it's not duff petrol, but has this happened to anyone else?

Cars running like a dream as usual, but as a precaution, I'm driving it off boost, will the light go back out when I go back to vpower, or will I have to get it reset at a garage?

Cheers, Andy

I usually only use momentum in the Litchfield and can't say I've ever had a problem with it, probably just a sensor on the way out.

There's stories of just about any make of fuel causing issues with some cars.... I saw a thread a couple of weeks ago about the new Shell fuel (V-Power replacement) causing issues on cars. If you dig deep enough through the inter-web any fuel will allegedly wreck your car.

I've used it in my other two imprezas without fault too, just not this current one, just thought I'd ask.....

Going to get the codes read tomorrow.

*edit*

Actually guys, I think I've been a bit if a spaz, I haven't had this wrx long, and it's suddenly dawned on me it's had the rear cat removed, as its had a new exhaust system, and has yet to be mapped, I'd put money on the fault code being something to do with this??

my 1995 type ra is nearly always running on momentum. with the odd fill up of optimax never tried the nitro yet and in the 18 mts of running ive had no problem. last dyno was 300 brake on the stuff. has yours had a remap, heard that if they were mapped for nitro then you put different fuel in it could throw a light up. personally i think its a coincidence. like above tho. its all theroy untill you get a code read for it. tho i do know mine doeas not like the bp ultimate. noticable drop in power and acceleration so i steer clear of bp

Edited by scottishtaffy

I nearly always run my WRX on Tesco 99. Occasionally I get the engine management light on (came on on the Fling). Fault code cames back as front O2 sensor. I just get it cleared and is normally ok for anything up to a year after that.

Pretty sure Phil 1967 said the new Shell stuff is just a marketing exercise and it is no different to 'old' V power'

Hey guys,

Further investigation, I've got a blow in the exhaust system, rang around this morning and and most places want 35-40 quid to plug in to a code reader, I can get my own for that, so gonna order one in a minute, cars not being used now as I'm going away for a week, so it will be ok until I get back,

They say it never rains but it pours, got another issue that's just decide to show up on the way home from picking the wife up, I'll post a separate thread for that.....

Cheers for all your help, oh and no I'm not gonna make it to the 'showcase' ;-)

Hey guys,

Further investigation, I've got a blow in the exhaust system, rang around this morning and and most places want 35-40 quid to plug in to a code reader, I can get my own for that, so gonna order one in a minute, cars not being used now as I'm going away for a week, so it will be ok until I get back,

They say it never rains but it pours, got another issue that's just decide to show up on the way home from picking the wife up, I'll post a separate thread for that.....

Cheers for all your help, oh and no I'm not gonna make it to the 'showcase' ;-)

Aye i get that now after bozzy gordon say8n y9ur fi down south.. was gona say ive got a code reader you could check the code for and clear it