Diy Radiator Change

Don't forget to try to avoid airlocks.

Make sure to use deionised water mixed with the coolant and not just tap water.

I always use this guide I copied and pasted ages ago from here.

"Disconnect top hose (rad end) and slowly fill engine through top port until full.

Reconnect top rad hose.

Disconect the small hose that goes from the H/T to the rad (highest point of rad) at the rad end.

Fill Via H/T whilst keeping finger over the hose, when coolant comes out the rad pop the hose back on.

Continue to fill via the header tank untill a couple of cm from the top.

Fill expansion tank.

Massage top and bottom hoses to get air bubble out.

With rad cap left of, set the heater and fan controlls to medium and start car.

Allow the car a few mins for hot air to start to come through the fans, keep checking for this as you keep an eye on the level in the header tank and top up a little when required.

Massage top and bottom hoses to get air bubble out.

As the hot air is now coming through the fans, and the level in the H/T is stable with no air bubles be expelled, its safe to put the rad cap on.

Job Done."

Usually does me well.

Right!! I'm a numpty :( just bought one from Gumtree .....in my rush to buy one I've just discovered its the wrong one :crying: (I was taken in by seller)

This one fits all round but has a rad cap on the top (was still in box and was looking at it upside down) :crying: need to sell this but no idea what it fits...says Subaru Impreza on the box!! :(

Cathy,

Have a look at COOLPARTSUK on ebay, you might be able to work out what radiator you have bought and what one you need from their adverts.

But from what I can remember, radiators with a cap are from blob-eyes onwards 2003>.

Bug-eyes dont have caps,

A wee breakdown for fitting for you,

Put front of car up on ramps, remove engine undertray if its still fitted.

Remove bottom radiator hose (its at the passenger side)from radiator and engine - gives you more space. The hose is held on with spring clips, just use good pliers, but beware the bottom 2 clips are likely to be rusty, so maybe get a couple of spares. This will drain all coolant.

Remove top radiator hose, again at both ends.

Remove 2 metal brackets that hold radiator in position at top of radiator.

Remove 2 smaller hoses that go to header tank.

Unplug wiring plugs for radiator fans (if 1 fan its 1 plug, 2 fans 2 plugs one either side) These are down sides of radiator near the bottom, can be a bugger to get off as its press a wee clip in then unplug.

Lift out radiator.

Put old one side by side with new, and remove fans from one to the other.

Refitting is a direct reversal and fill system as above post.

You'll need to buy 5litres of antifreeze and mix it 50:50

Keep topping up when cold as it will self bleed slightly

Hope you follow all that, it's not too difficult, honest.

Davie

I can't take it back...it was private sale, I should have known better but I was desperate to get the car back on the road (I'm having to take the dogs in the Cat :o )

It's definitely different, I text the guy and he admitted he bought it for a Sport. I'll just sell it on eBay or here? Anyone needing a radiator lol

Davie ....the radiator is all out (except the bottom hose cos the clip is seized!! I'm just going to break it off and replace it but as I'm moving house soon all tools aren't available :() I'm quite chuffed lol ...just hope I can remember where it all goes :rolleyes:

Wee update....radiator out (eventually! what a mission to remove pipes and rusted clips when you've only got a tin opener lol)

It's got a wee crack in the side (hard plastic) so it's away being repaired by my excellent highly skilled brother :icon_salut: so refitting today...hope I can remember where it all goes :smiley-taunt014:

• 2 weeks later...