What To Check Before A Track Day

Ok so looking for some guidance on what to check on te car before kames tomorrow?

What tyre pressure should I be setting on 18's?

What torque on wheel nuts?

Will check the fluids to ensure levels are ok.

Do I need to check anything else?

Cheers

Chris

Hard at the bottom, finger tight will do, don't forget change of pants (if you wear them) :P

Jesus guys, relax - you drive hard on the road, the track is just a road. If your wheels don't fall off on the way there they won't fall off on the track. Chill! :)

Well after the first track session yesterday I think handling is definitely next on the modification list.

So question is what are the first handling mods best to do?

Oh and think I will need to get some different brake pads for the fronts for next time as the red stuff didn't give me 100% confidence in stopping. So the loaded question is what pads give good bite on track and on road but don't cost the earth?

Well after the first track session yesterday I think handling is definitely next on the modification list.

So question is what are the first handling mods best to do?

Oh and think I will need to get some different brake pads for the fronts for next time as the red stuff didn't give me 100% confidence in stopping. So the loaded question is what pads give good bite on track and on road but don't cost the earth?

After 15 years of track days with Subaru's and EVO's, I think I've tried every combination possible for brakes.

My new-age JDM STi is running Performance Friction discs and pads on the Brembos. Pretty good but not fantastic that a lot of people make out, and I'd be really miffed if I'd paid for them.

I ran AP's on my last track car, but this one came with new-age Brembo's fitted all round, I've tried Mintex, Pagid, EBC's red and yellows on different cars with the Brembo's

So if your looking for something thats a good compromise for the road and won't fade at Knockhill, try Mintex 1155's up front and either 1144's or 1155's at the rear. They work well from cold, have a nice feel and I haven't killed a set yet. They are a bit dusty on the alloys is the only downside.

I also always use AP Racing brake fluid, nothing else.

For suspension, the only thing that works well on track are coilovers, simple as that. Look at any track day photos, coilover cars will be nearly flat through corners, those with lowering springs will be almost rubbing corners of their bumpers.

You could throw everything out of the whiteline catalogue at it, and it will help, but still not as good as coilovers on track.

But as you want your car for both track and road, its always going to be a compromise.

Thanks for the info. I have ordered a set of pagid discs for the front and will see what this ro's to the braking. The discs on the car are still the originals from the factory 9 years ago so may be contributing to the poor performance.

• 4 weeks later...