Fuel Costs Vs Car Tax

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you thnk that car tax should be lowered to a standard rate, and fuel costs rise?

• Yes, the more you drive, the more you polute, so you should pay more. Its not fair that my weekend toy cost more than a 20,000 miles a year Prius.
    • No, im happy paying my car tax and larger cars should be taxed more to promote more eco sensitive purchases.

I "only" paid £270.00 last time for the WRX as it was registered pre March 2006, but during the last 12 months, it has covered just below 4,000 miles. Similarly the Accord, also £270.00 has done less than 3,500 miles. Personally, I believe that road tax should be scrapped and revenue raised on fuel costs only.

John

I "only" paid £270.00 last time for the WRX as it was registered pre March 2006, but during the last 12 months, it has covered just below 4,000 miles. Similarly the Accord, also £270.00 has done less than 3,500 miles. Personally, I believe that road tax should be scrapped and revenue raised on fuel costs only.

John

John

That's what I believe, but feel there may be some need to pay a standard £30 per year to cover all avenues including insurance/ paperwork/ sorn etc. I was £460 on the hatch for what was 3000 miles or so (got a rebate as had it for 8 months or so)

Cheers for the input

Gordon

The car tax in this country is a joke. I dorve an RX7 in Cyprus where it was classed as a 1.3 and tax was under £50 a year. In the UK once it was registered - after it's 10th birthday so it was exempt the emmisions test. it's classed as a 2.6 and is about £500 a year to tax.

Fortunately both my scoobs are on the lower bracket being 2 litres engines but it's still too much when you look at how much fuel duty tax and VAT we pay on fuel.

Edited by davey l wrx

Difficult one... I see the reasoning for it, as I am doing $250 iirc. something beginning with a 2, on tax. And/But, I do 40 miles a day in mine, so it'd likely be more expensive for me, however I drive, because of the boxer....ness. Only reason I got the car was because I can for once afford the car that I want. I'm on the fence. But erring on the side of Yes, because if I got, for example, a bike for commuting, and the imp for the weekends and evenings, it would make a lot of sense (tbh. It would probably push me to that option if the government did change the way it worked). I can't be the only one who uses their scoob as a daily, surely?