Performance Clutch

Recently fitted an exeddy clutch to my 1999 uk turbo, and am having a mare!

the "pinkbox package" which also comes with a lightened flywheel, is advertised as an anti-judder clutch, but to be honest I'm finding it just as bad if not worse than before! My mechanic says it will take a couple of hundred miles before it "beds in" but am beginning to wonder about his competence or that I'm being spun a line!

Has anyone had any experience of these clutches or know of a good mechanic who could sort it?

Thanks.

Recently fitted an exeddy clutch to my 1999 uk turbo, and am having a mare!

the "pinkbox package" which also comes with a lightened flywheel, is advertised as an anti-judder clutch, but to be honest I'm finding it just as bad if not worse than before! My mechanic says it will take a couple of hundred miles before it "beds in" but am beginning to wonder about his competence or that I'm being spun a line!

Has anyone had any experience of these clutches or know of a good mechanic who could sort it?

Thanks.

Now there are excedy clutches and there are eBay excedy clutches. Some of the latter are not as good as they make out. My OEM 6speed clutch took 400bhp. But a few people bough pink updated 6 speed clutch kit for a 330ppp model and it struggled. So be careful sometimes cheap is not always cheerful ;)

If I remember some early 98-99 cars had a dual mass or twin plate clutches in them.

I've always used Aztec performance they always had genuine parts

IMHO IIRC

Tony

Thanks tony, eliminated one thing as I also purchased mine from Aztec, as you can imagine I breathed a sigh of relief when I read the last line of your reply!

Have read many reviews which do mention that the biting point changed, or the car became easier to stall, both of which I expected, it's the judder as pull away or reverse that worries me. I mentioned it to someone who's mechanical knowledge is far larger than mine his reply was "hmmm... Bearings?" Whatever that means! (I obviously nodded as not to look like the complete novice I am or as dumb as I feel!...... Now what was that about dual mass or twin plate?) think my next step is to research which type of clutch my model has!

Thanks again mate.

Jose

I bought the 5 speed pink box with lightweight fly wheel from Aztec.

I had a bit of trouble pulling away at first, not sure if it was judder or just dodgy clutch control haha. But it was quite bad for the first hundred miles, but got a lot better.

Hardly does it any more, unless I go on quite a long journey and get stuck in a traffic jam, then it makes me look like I can't pull away smooth.

I'm no expert on clutches either so bearings may be an issue with yours, but the garage I got mine fitted at was Scooby world and they took it out to test it was all ok.

The only thing I get with mine all the time is a rattling sound when I'm just rolling in gear with no pedals depressed. Scooby world said it can happen with a lightweight flywheel.

Thanks tony, eliminated one thing as I also purchased mine from Aztec, as you can imagine I breathed a sigh of relief when I read the last line of your reply!

Have read many reviews which do mention that the biting point changed, or the car became easier to stall, both of which I expected, it's the judder as pull away or reverse that worries me. I mentioned it to someone who's mechanical knowledge is far larger than mine his reply was "hmmm... Bearings?" Whatever that means! (I obviously nodded as not to look like the complete novice I am or as dumb as I feel!...... Now what was that about dual mass or twin plate?) think my next step is to research which type of clutch my model has!

Thanks again mate.

Jose

The old dual mass were only put in a batch of 98-99 cars iirc

Clutch release bearing is what pulls or pushes the fingers to release the pressure from pressure plate against the friction disc. Your iirc is a pull type. If bearing issue normally get no rumbling with clutch up but the rumble as you star to apply pressure. Or vice versa.

What can cause drag is if the flywheel bearing is very tight under load or fecked although pressure off the disc is release the primary shaft is still being turned by the flywheel causing grating gear changes or too much copper slip on gearbox primary shaft spline canl cause drag and crunching gears sometimes better to be dry fitted as less is better than more.

On some flywheel kits the flywheel and cover have mark so to be assembled mark to mark. Perfect alignment. Most "fitters" not aware and just plonk it on in one of 3/4 position so might take a time to bed in.

IIRC IMHO

Tony

Edited by T5NYW
  • 2 weeks later...