i know the ra is a 60/40 split 4wd but why does it handle in the snow as though its a rwd? like backing up my drive it just spins the back tyres same as pulling out of drive up to the junction it does not feel that the front is spinning just the back as it puts me sideways up the road? :brickwall: any help or info gratefully recieved :Wales-flag:

probably psychological more than reality, but I tried to keep a near full tank when its snow/slush, feels like the extra weight on the back wheels keeps the rears from following the ruts- suspect that once the rears are in a rut thats when theyre more likely to spin?

although with winter tyres fitted the last 2 winters, never really had the problem at all, then again relatively little power in the non turbo!

Edited by ccrien

2 years ago with new Bridgestones couldnt barely pull away up street on the deep snow when rears got into the ruts- just crawled along sideways with rears spinning and fronts just pointing and doin nowt, and took anything up to 50 yards for rears to climb over the ruts and straighten up, when it would start to gain some traction. Since the forester just got on with it, with Michelin road tyres, I decided to buy some Nokian WRA3 winter tyres for the impreza after a bit of research. Absolutely amazing on snow/slush/ black ice - traction and braking especially and just climbs over ruts and ploughs through snow and slush. Good on cold roads as well. Honestly, think the tyres make more difference than owt else- was really disappointed in the impreza with RE050s in snow or slush - dangerous even. Ready for anything now.

I think that AWD makes no difference with crap tyres! I'm also running RE050's an they are deadly on snow and ice. BMW drivers are laughing at me struggling in these conditions.... ok not really but you get the picture!

Will not be making the same mistake next year?