Do The South West Need A Summer Bbq?

South West BBQ and social  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do owners in the South West (Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset and Wiltshire) feel that they would like to have a BBQ and a social gathering later this summer?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit I was thinking simple family affair really. But maybe we need to look at a small local AND a bigger national one. My initial reasons were to try and get some more locals joining up with us down here. If you think we can pull of a national as well lets make it "as well" not instead of eh?

I must admit I was thinking simple family affair really. But maybe we need to look at a small local AND a bigger national one. My initial reasons were to try and get some more locals joining up with us down here. If you think we can pull of a national as well lets make it "as well" not instead of eh?

Sounds good, have you spoken with Jerry with regards to a local one yet? Do you fancy a run up to Trax?

Hi guys, hope you're all good :)

Sorry I've not replied sooner, been having some personal time and was away on my hollibobs :English-flag:

Having a BBQ sounds like a cracking idea.

Here's some food for thought:

Choose a date that wont conflict too closely with any other events to encourage as many people to attend as possible;

Set the date and stick to it - book early to avoid disappointment;

Choose a location that has all facilities on offer, especially if it's going to include families (maybe near a zoo or other attractions);

Agree food/drink arrangements (bring your own etc, keeps costs down);

Chip in for charcoal, condiments etc;

Organise entertainment for children and adults;

Now, you're main issue if you decide to do a camping/night stop over somewhere is that you'll need to find somewhere that accepts group bookings, or as some call them "rallies". My local club found this to be an issue last year, this is mainly due to other campers on the same site and noise restrictions.

If you find a location that accepts group bookings then you're onto a winner as you wont need to pay for any additional facilities - ie loos etc.

An issue regarding Trax is that this show is on a Sunday so anyone wanting to stop over would need to take a days annual leave on the Monday and I'm not sure many would be keen on that. Silverstone does have camping facilities now but I'm not sure it's something they'd offer on the Sunday seeing as it's only a one day show.

Most shows/events wont allow BBQ's on site due to health and safety so having the get together at a show may pose to be difficult.

A suggestion.....

Organise something low key this year and maybe look at arranging something bigger next year alongside a big event (Japfest, RallyDay, Trax etc) which will allow you more time to plan time off work, make arrangements for a large attendance, it may even make it easier to choose a date.

Just my 2p worth. Good luck :thumbup:

Right guys!

Let's set a date, camping at Porlock, can be family event. Not a problem. It has facilities, river/stream we can use to keep Beers etc cool. Any interest in this? If so what dates are good for people?

Hey, sounds like fun, anytime before the monsoon season is good for me :D

Sounds like a damn good plan all of this. I think a regional stylee event for the SW crew is a great idea, perhaps all the RO's working together to bring it off. Loving the idea of a national SIDC event next year too!

I'm able to speak to a few of the other local but very well supported Jap clubs over this way if we want to take this regional event beyond the rumbling fours?

Having been involved in running a big biker festival for the last 3 years you need to understand that it takes more than a year to get one of these big ones organised. There is a lot of commitment and time required to get it set up as well as a fair sized budget. It is not just the site you need to consider but the off site region that you will affect and the hoops to jump through to get permission to run an event. Not saying it cannot be done but just giving you a small idea from my experience. Maybe the ROs need to get together to see what we can arrange as regional events for the first year and hopefully get a national event sometime after.

This thread started as SW BBQ, now its turning into a national gig. I'm happy to keep it local at either Captain Jerry's or porlock. I know Porlock is ready to go thanks to Criddy and when we spoke to Capn Jerry last Sunday it was mentioned but nothing arranged on a date. Can a date be arranged and then everyone can accept? We know it will be a fantastic turn out from us SW lot as it shows by our monthly meets. Keep up the good work guys.

This thread started as SW BBQ, now its turning into a national gig. I'm happy to keep it local at either Captain Jerry's or porlock. I know Porlock is ready to go thanks to Criddy and when we spoke to Capn Jerry last Sunday it was mentioned but nothing arranged on a date. Can a date be arranged and then everyone can accept? We know it will be a fantastic turn out from us SW lot as it shows by our monthly meets. Keep up the good work guys.

I concur! :icon_pray::iagree:

I concur! :icon_pray::iagree:

The national idea was for Trax if there was enough interest as its quite a distance for us down here to go for a morning start show. Be a very early start.

Let's get some dates sorted guys and go from there. What dates would people prefer for Porlock or other location locally (SW)

Edited by criddy