p1 gearbox 4.14final

Anyone know what kind of power a p1 gearbox with the final drive ration of 4.14 can safely handle? as im heading to scoobyclinic next month to have the engine looked over and have a map im wondering before i start buying injectors and a larger capacity turbo what the safe limit is? it unlikely im going to be doing any drag type starts but the last thing i want to have too worry about is blowing the diff or gearbox

any advise would be much appreciated as this is my 1st subaru and ive only had her sice friday currently its pushing a nats hair under 330bhp.

Depends a lot on how it's driven, our P1's been running 380 bhp 330 lbft torque for 3 years with no issues & I know of several others doing the same or running more.

Had a 2.5 fitted earlier in the year, now running approx 400 / 400 had no problems but there's a 6 speed being delivered in the next couple of weeks to hopefully make sure

ty for the reply put my mind at ease although mine has a new vf28 on im toying with going td05 turbo walbro pump and larger injectors im guessing to reach 350 thats all i need?

Got a similar turbo on ours supplied by Harvey Smith, would recomend Bosch fuel pump instaed af Walbro, similar price as well, injectors as mentioned, would also be benefit from a front mounted intercooler, what exhaust are you running?

Edited by Paul N

Your P1 has a TY754 gearbox and rear diff ratio is 4.44:1. These are capable of working well, a long way past 400 bhp.

You can take your car to 380-400 bhp on the O/E internals but to go further you do need a change of pistons and rods.

At 380 bhp which is easy to achieve with the full supporting mods these are flying machines.

A P1 is M/Y 99-00 and all 99-00 ECUs can be remapped using ECUTEK software by an Ecutek licenced mapper. FYI a P1 is basically a 2 door STi 5 or 6 for the UK market intended to slow the flow of Grey Imports at the time.

I suggest you get in touch with Bob Rawle who is very capable and mapped Paul's car above on several occassions as he went down the modification trail. rbr@brdevelopments.com

Now Paul has a very capable P1 about to benefit from a six speed box. :) I also see Simon Roe, Jolly Green Monster is on here and he also does Ecutek.