Chipex

Ah, not read that yet... going to do that now though, thanks for the heads up :occasion14:

Ok, never saw that as i wasn't logged in so could only see the 1st lot of pages, DUH, ok, that has sold it to me, ordering in a bit...

Thanks Stu :headbang:

Edited by bakerzone

I bought a Chipex kit, got really good results with chips but I just cannot get it right on thin hairline scratches. I just remove the paint when I try and blend it. I spoke to chipex who are very helpful and I think it is a lot to do with the technique .... I just havn't any!!

Micro fibre brushs that come in the kit are brilliant. Make sure you clean off the paint from them so you can use them again. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Havent used the chipex pack but have used DrColourChip pack int eh past. Same sort of thign but mien came fromt eh USA and therefore more expensive because there was no one in the UK doing it at the time..

Thought I had some before and after pics but can't find them.. But Definately worthwhile and very cost effective against resprays. If you just have stonechip and perhaps a nice bit of gravelrash ont eh front end (ooh err!) then it can cover that up almost perfectly.. If your really looking for the marks you and still pick thenm out if your very close up but even standign one step back it's difficult to spot the repair!

Takes a bit of patience to get a proper finish, it's not simply slap it on an that's it.. Maybe devote an afternoon to it depending on the sort of marks you need to cover up.. Or if there's LOTS of gravel rash then maybe try and span it over a day or two..

I wasn't expecting much from the kit, but after I used it the first time I was sold! Even just for basic chip repair it's good but can really tidy up othe front end of a car without much cost :thumbup: Highly reccomended!

Havent used the chipex pack but have used DrColourChip pack int eh past. Same sort of thign but mien came fromt eh USA and therefore more expensive because there was no one in the UK doing it at the time..

Thought I had some before and after pics but can't find them.. But Definately worthwhile and very cost effective against resprays. If you just have stonechip and perhaps a nice bit of gravelrash ont eh front end (ooh err!) then it can cover that up almost perfectly.. If your really looking for the marks you and still pick thenm out if your very close up but even standign one step back it's difficult to spot the repair!

Takes a bit of patience to get a proper finish, it's not simply slap it on an that's it.. Maybe devote an afternoon to it depending on the sort of marks you need to cover up.. Or if there's LOTS of gravel rash then maybe try and span it over a day or two..

I wasn't expecting much from the kit, but after I used it the first time I was sold! Even just for basic chip repair it's good but can really tidy up othe front end of a car without much cost :thumbup: Highly reccomended!

I'm hoping it will arrive before next Saturday, then I can remove a couple, although not sure how long to leave between its 1st wax/polish, if it doesn't arrive not such a bad loss, save me messing it up :headbang: I've read it easy to remove if mistakes are made.

Here's being forever hopefull

Rich :thumbup:

Difficult to say about the first wax/polish..

Just had a more detailed look at their website and I can clearly see how you managed to get the colour wrong. Why don't they list the actual paint codes on their site? I know mine is 94H as I've bought paint for it in the past, but on their site there's loads of possible reds on there and it coudl be any of them.. Doesn't even list the proper coliur names in my case it's either Red Mica or Sedona Red(US), neither of which are listed :redcard:

What I did notice is that hey have a 3rd step with a fine polish for finsihing. I didn't have that step with my kit but usually did that anyway.. But I noticed that I needed to be very careful when using polish afterwards. I machine polished mine a couple weeks after applying and it just took all the repair work out :brickwall: But using a fine/mild polish by hand should be safe. The paint will still be quite soft for a month or two and fairly easy to remove.. I guess ideally much like a respray you shoudl leave it a few weeks before applying wax on top... Applyign wax effectivly seals in teh paint which sounds good but the new paint needs time to cure and harden properly and that wont happen properly if it's sealed over.. If you need it done for a show/event or something I guess try do a thin layer of wax if you have to but maybe go back over it afterwar the event with polish to try and remove the thin layer of wax again to give the paint a chance... Ideally, try to avoid waxing and keep the repaired area clean, that will give the paint the best chance of remainign permanent... :(

• 2 weeks later...

Difficult to say about the first wax/polish..

Just had a more detailed look at their website and I can clearly see how you managed to get the colour wrong. Why don't they list the actual paint codes on their site? I know mine is 94H as I've bought paint for it in the past, but on their site there's loads of possible reds on there and it coudl be any of them.. Doesn't even list the proper coliur names in my case it's either Red Mica or Sedona Red(US), neither of which are listed :redcard:

What I did notice is that hey have a 3rd step with a fine polish for finsihing. I didn't have that step with my kit but usually did that anyway.. But I noticed that I needed to be very careful when using polish afterwards. I machine polished mine a couple weeks after applying and it just took all the repair work out :brickwall: But using a fine/mild polish by hand should be safe. The paint will still be quite soft for a month or two and fairly easy to remove.. I guess ideally much like a respray you shoudl leave it a few weeks before applying wax on top... Applyign wax effectivly seals in teh paint which sounds good but the new paint needs time to cure and harden properly and that wont happen properly if it's sealed over.. If you need it done for a show/event or something I guess try do a thin layer of wax if you have to but maybe go back over it afterwar the event with polish to try and remove the thin layer of wax again to give the paint a chance... Ideally, try to avoid waxing and keep the repaired area clean, that will give the paint the best chance of remainign permanent... :(

Hi there, if you select the colour on the drop down menu the colour code is shown automatically on the next page. We make all Subaru colours and should you not be sure of your colour code we can find it for you with your chassis number.

Hi,

Thanks or picking up on this thread..

Does make sense, however I believe it would be more useful to show the paint code on the pull down list, rather than usign trial and error selecting different shades of colour to find the right one.

As a test, can you tell me which colour I would select on the list of colours for Red Mica / Sedona Rad, paint code 94H on a 2001 Subaru Impreza.. I went through the different options for red but 94H never showed up.. I know that is the colour code as I've used it several times to get paint for my car and it's been spot on everytime.. I know later on in the order process you can specify the exact colour code, but I found goign throw the selection process tiem consuming and faulty when I know the specific code for my car.

Hope that doesn't sound to critical.. It's meant to be feeedback to help you imrpoove the site and perhaps reduce problems with incorrectly selected colours :icon_salut:

Thanks,

Hi,

Thanks or picking up on this thread..

Does make sense, however I believe it would be more useful to show the paint code on the pull down list, rather than usign trial and error selecting different shades of colour to find the right one.

As a test, can you tell me which colour I would select on the list of colours for Red Mica / Sedona Rad, paint code 94H on a 2001 Subaru Impreza.. I went through the different options for red but 94H never showed up.. I know that is the colour code as I've used it several times to get paint for my car and it's been spot on everytime.. I know later on in the order process you can specify the exact colour code, but I found goign throw the selection process tiem consuming and faulty when I know the specific code for my car.

Hope that doesn't sound to critical.. It's meant to be feeedback to help you imrpoove the site and perhaps reduce problems with incorrectly selected colours :icon_salut:

Thanks,

Hi, We are currently in the process of overhauling all the colour codes and the selection process and hope to have this finished in the next two weeks so as to make it more userfriendly.

If you know your colour code as you do the best way to order is to enter your colour code manually on the order page after pushing the buy it now button. Alternatively you can select 'Cant Find Your Colour' and we will do the work for you in finding the colour code by contacting the manufacturer with your chassis number. Having looked at the list I also could not find your colour code!

So if anyone is not sure please fill in 'Cant Find Your Colour' and let us find it for you.

All feedback is very important and I thank you for brining this to my attention and I hope the above helps. As always please do drop us a line at Email me

info@chipex.co.uk

• 5 weeks later...

iv used Dr color chip to good effect, I would use it on small chips on my bonnet, and is very good for hiding other marks from 6ft away. But any major peppering or stone chips on the bumper I just sand it out and blow the lot over.

:) (Nothing can beat a good paint job imho )