Flashing CEL, but no errors?

When driving the other night at about 70 ish. My CEL started flashing and when I backed of the throttle it stopped flashing after about 20 seconds. Then a few miles later when giving her a bit boost in 4th gear it started flasing again and went out after a mile or so. Same again when I used mediem to high revs, flashed and then stayed on for the remaining 20 miles of my drive home. Put my code reader on it today and it come up with no errors!

Forgot to mention, motors a 2002 bug.

Does someone know what this means?

Cheers

Ryan

Edited by patsy

The above link only applies to Apexi Power FC and Simtek if enabled.

On the OE ECU it is normally misfire detection. Check the cam sensor, crank sensor, coil pack and injector plugs, failing that a new set of spark plugs gapped to suit the spec would normally sort it.

Poor quality fuel can also cause it as the ECU retards the ignition timing which in some cases can lead to a misfire being detected.

The above link only applies to Apexi Power FC and Simtek if enabled.

On the OE ECU it is normally misfire detection. Check the cam sensor, crank sensor, coil pack and injector plugs, failing that a new set of spark plugs gapped to suit the spec would normally sort it.

Poor quality fuel can also cause it as the ECU retards the ignition timing which in some cases can lead to a misfire being detected.

I'll check all those things this afternoon. I've spoke to Steve W. This morning and he was going to speak to you tomorrow at kh. I'm heading up there tomorrow also, so I'll nip both your heads for for a wee bit up there!

Thanks Andy.

Ryan

Ive had the same issue with my 2002 wrx.Did it from standard(now decatted,exhaust,andy f remap,prodrive y pipe,new plugs,new coil packs,new afr,new maf,new walbro pump,new fuel filter) and it still does it!!!! It drives me insane and its cost me ££££ trying to fix it but as you say with no fault code its difficult.

Edited by wagonwheels

This is down to the nuetral position switch on the gearbox - it is a £50 part best sourced new from subaru.

Chucks out random flashing CELs and occasionally misfire codes or cam position sensor faults (none of which are the actual problem)

Easy fix and a VERY common problem.

This is down to the nuetral position switch on the gearbox - it is a £50 part best sourced new from subaru.

Chucks out random flashing CELs and occasionally misfire codes or cam position sensor faults (none of which are the actual problem)

Easy fix and a VERY common problem.

Thanks for that. I'lllook into it this weekend. Would this cause an ocassional pulsing/surging feeling a say 30mph in 3rd gear when cruising around town? Also, she idles ok, but if I try sitting her at anything above idle for fast idle at roughly 2k the revs start to hunt up and mainly down by a few hundred rpm? Bit like a slight mis-fire, but it isn't a mis-fire if that makes sense. Other than that, she drives fine on boost etc.

Ryan