Where's my wing gone?

Don't panic!

I got a s/h rear boot lid and genuine wing for my Hawkeye last month.

Just to prepare I've took the WRX type rear spoiler off my car and have to say it looks sort of quite nice without one on! Well, different.

Didn't realise the intracacy of the genuine spoilers.

The WRX one has only four bolts, but a single plastic fitting and clip lug mount on each side too, plus the wiring for the LED light.

You often hear ads for the STi style spoilers saying you can use the holes and perhaps drill a couple more for security....let's just say this is why I have NEVER seen a replica fit properly.

The proper STi has a pair of the clips on each side and a total of 13 studs and nut fittings. Plus the six bolts that join lower to upper- and two of the lower fixings are actually ends of the wire lanyard that goes up and over through the upper spoiler. Over 70 parts in total to a genuine spoiler.

The torsion bars in the boot are bigger too, as the WRX spoiler weighs next to nothing, BTW.

Just need to save up for the roof vane now.

:rolleyes:

No. weather's too crap.

Look on the US sites as it's all the rage to drop them low and remove the wing. Some look very nice...and some do not.

I do fancy the upper blade on mine, but sticking a chweapo one on doesn't appeal. Subaru quote over £750 for the main piece alone!

Colour coded? The middle bit is satin black, it's only the plastic trims on the sides that are coloured. Just finding a real one is hard enough, besides a lightweight fibreglass one is probably better as I can stick it on and not drill the C pillar.

It is a Spec D so I need to be able to put it back to original if they ever go up in value... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally time to post a picture.

The Scoob has left the Island on it's summer Holiday. Four weeks in Devon without and engine....Can't wait to get it back and see how many ponies come with it....

Hi Mark,

Where abouts in Devon?

My stamping ground originally before my Manx days.

Hillclimbing at Oddicombe in my 1430GT Mini,

Tells you how long ago!!

Cheers

Richard

Edited by heazille
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, for my sins.....

No Flymaybe jokes FFS!

I moved to the Island to work for Manx Airlines and never left so after BA came and ruined nearly ruined it all Flybe pickup up the pieces and restored what was left. Godsend for the 72 of us that are left! I do miss the Manx days though...

Edited by MarkJHarris
  • 2 weeks later...

Snap was with MANX at Glasgow Line and still there with Flybe.

Excellent!

Any other Scooby owners up in GLA then?

I'm just a lowly pilok here on the Island- I forgot to hide when they needed a numpty so some call me the "Pilot Base Manager"- but mostly it's filling coffee machines and sending company mail.

Were you Loganair before Manx took over or arrived after?

Excellent!

I'm just a lowly pilok here on the Island- I forgot to hide when they needed a numpty so some call me the "Pilot Base Manager"- but mostly it's filling coffee machines and sending company mail.

Hi Mark.

I used to stay closer to Glasgow until a few years ago. And I've also got a Spec D. Just seen the pic of your motor without the spoiler. Looks v nice! Only know of 1 other Spec D. Always look out for them though!

Dougie

Excellent!

No wasnt loganair before Manx one of the few that wasnt lol.

Hiya Dougie!

My spec D was bought because I wanted a Hawkeye STi and it was the only local one I could find at short notice (previous lost on black ice).

It's not really a Spec D any more with big wing and roof spoiler fitted- but I have the original and bootlid to match in the loft if I ever need it!

There are now 4 on the IOM! But this place is a Scooby Redoubt- they're everywhere.

The O.E. Sat Nav was pants so that went first-nice double DIN Alpine now. The supposed extra soundproofing was pants too, so there's loads of dynamat in mine now. Much nicer.

Enjoy!

• 3 years later...