New Subaru Owner

Hello everyone, been a member of the site for a while now as I normally pop along to various events organised by you.

I've recently acquired a 1999 Impreza UK Turbo as a project car for, hopefully, some track use.

The car:

38915_10150254052135111_777760110_13956147_926139_n.jpg

38781_10150254052195111_777760110_13956152_3568969_n.jpg

The problem, the engine has a very prominent knock to it which sounds very much like a worn big end bearing on cylinder number three. The car still runs and drives fine but the engine is on it's last legs.

My aim, to fit another engine, do some mods, and get it ready for next year for the odd outings round the UK (possibly further).

My other vehicles include:

2001 VW Caddy Van:

6b6ce45f.jpg

1994 Celica GT-Four:

2fe6497d.jpg

43198d64.jpg

3c729afa.jpg

So I will no doubt be asking your advice in the coming day - primarily on the best place to source a new engine and the possibly variants which would fit my V5.

Cheers all,

Rob.

welcome along.

regards engine it pretty much depends on budget and how modified you want to go.

the short blocks are pretty much interchangable through out the years. if you are intending track work then some early stis/ra had closed deck blocks but then newages have stronger rods. if its second hand newage take note if it had twin scroll turbo as sump is different but only needs swapping over.

if you are changing for a long engine then it gets more tricky as different age heads use related manifolds. Can be done but then you have to modify wiring loom as manifold sensors vary etc.

im sure some of the more technical folk will be able to answer your questions a lot better when the time comes though.

welcome along.

regards engine it pretty much depends on budget and how modified you want to go.

the short blocks are pretty much interchangable through out the years. if you are intending track work then some early stis/ra had closed deck blocks but then newages have stronger rods. if its second hand newage take note if it had twin scroll turbo as sump is different but only needs swapping over.

if you are changing for a long engine then it gets more tricky as different age heads use related manifolds. Can be done but then you have to modify wiring loom as manifold sensors vary etc.

im sure some of the more technical folk will be able to answer your questions a lot better when the time comes though.

Hello Euan,

Thanks for the information.

So far, other than eBay (which im wary of for an engine), I've only been in contact with Glenburgie Cars about a replacement engine as one my work mates used them for parts - can anyone recommend other vendors to contact?

welcome along.

the short blocks are pretty much interchangable through out the years. if you are intending track work then some early stis/ra had closed deck blocks but then newages have stronger rods. if its second hand newage take note if it had twin scroll turbo as sump is different but only needs swapping over. The sump is different on twin scroll turbo's 03 Jdm Sti onwards because of equal length headers