Keep Your Eyes Peeled Guys...

22 September 2010 Last updated at 11:08

Thieves target performance cars in west Oxfordshire

Police are linking a series of burglaries in west Oxfordshire in which expensive sports cars were stolen including Subarus, BMWs and Audis.

Since April, there have been 11 burglaries in Witney, Carterton and Eynsham in which cars were taken along with cash and electrical goods. Another 10 homes were burgled and keys stolen but the cars were not taken. In Cherwell, 10 homes have been broken into and four cars stolen.

The break-ins happened in Banbury, Bicester and Adderbury. Thames Valley Police said they were not linking the burglaries in west Oxfordshire to those in Cherwell.

Det Insp Helen Roberts, of Thmas Valley Police, said: "We are appealing for residents to keep an eye out for any suspicious vehicles or people in their street that appear to be checking out properties.

"Please do not hesitate to contact us if you see anything, community information is vital and you're not wasting our time.

"Obviously we recommend ensuring windows and doors are locked securely when not in use but you should also consider taking keys, wallets and bags upstairs with you at night so they are not left on show or able to be 'fished' through the letterbox."

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news

More here: Witney Gazette

========================

I'm sure you're all very careful anyway but remember to keep windows & doors locked as well as keys and cars out of sight!

Guys,

After being the victim of an attempted theft last year I can only reiterate what Stu has already said about being careful. Admittedly they didn't get my scoob (thank you Clifford alarm for deafening the thieving little gits) but they still caused in excess of £800 worth of damage to my property which I had to fork out for :)

Rach

Good point Rach. Just remembered that about 18 months ago some little sod tried stealing mine/gaining access to it by continually setting the alarm off in the VERY early hours - police guessed that the plan would've been that I would get sick of it going off, think it's a fault and switch the alarm off. Would say it's another one to be wary of!

...now where did I put that cotton wool? I'm off to wrap the car! :)

Neighbours here were targetted a couple of weeks ago, both car's stolen from driveway after theiving toerags got in & nicked the keys.

Stole a bit of cash plasma telly etc... luckily cars were dumped about 3 miles away without any damage.

Gem & neighbours son were both convinced that somebody had been in our back gardens a couple of nights before the break-in.

We're all now v careful about locking doors even when upstairs during the day.

Scumbags

That's not so good news about the thievery...we had our back windows of the house attempted to be broken into 18 months ago, couldn't get past the security uPVC frames so they legged it. They had also turned the security light around so it wouldn't go off, cunning little buggers, not been back since.

If they try it again and if I catch them, I will be breaking fingers/arms/legs, even if its 'wrong' in the eyes of the law to defend your property or family....anyhoo fingers crossed this wont happen :)

Never been sure about trackers - not convinced I would actually want my car back after it's been thraped repeatedly round and round some trading estate or another!?! :unsure:

Aye the problem for me would be not knowing what damage they had done to it and always have that nagging feeling....