09/11/01 - A Day To Remember

Hi All,

Today 9 years ago, 4 passenger airliners were hi-jacked by terrorist planning to steal thousands of lives from loved ones and create extreme un-rest between native countries. 3 of these planes hit their planned targets, the other ending up in Shanksville-Pennysylvania after the brave passengers attempted to overthrow their captors even though they knew their situation was hopeless.

Over 9 years I've seen various types of footage that I'm sure has made us all feel un-comfortable and upset at somepoint or another. Today I watched around 3 hours of programming completely fixated in awe of the devestation and hurt that was'nt just brought to America that day, but to us all across the world. No matter if we were directly effected by losing a family member or friend, I feel the hurt we find inside us when watching is that of a humanitarian nature where we, to this day cannot compute nor understand why we had to have this utter waste of life brought to our "reasonably" peaceful lives.

This event, along with attacks in the following years should never be far from our minds. On September the 11th 2001 Firefighters and EMS alike entered those buildings not as just a duty, but as humanitarians to save lives not for one second thinking about the danger that they were placing their own in.

I for one will never forget the heroism in these Firefighters or the victims of this un-neccesary act.

9/11/2001

Edited by StewartyBoy

Indeed mate.

Remember being on holiday in Ibiza when it happened.

I know of a few people who, like me, had friends there at the time that were late for work/decided not to pop back to the office for that thing they had forgotten which meant they survived.

Seemed to be your luck on the day!!

I've got some morbid fascination with the programmer as well. Probably because I can't believe it happened.

Have you seen the one about the two French brothers who make a documentary from the same firehouse. Split up before it all happens and are lucky enough to be reunited later.

On the other hand, you have The Falling Man. Trying to trace one of the many who decided to jump instead :D

9 Years....? Really...? I still remember watching it live in the crew room on the Squadron... We were due to Fly out to Thumrait in Oman for a major Military exercise only a week or 2 later. It was a pretty tense time for us as we waited to find out whether we were going Bombing for real...

You know that after 9 years it can still be this fresh in your mind, you know that you are never going to forget it...

the whole story is on just now on freeview channel 12, yesterday channel

the whole documentary from eyewitness reports and transcripts

Can't believe it is 9 years. The whole story was on one of the 520 odd channels on Sky. An amazing amount of footage which I have never seen before Was just an transfixed with that as I remember being watching events unfold on the crappy office TV