with the bigger hard drive space and the black

box matches my TV and XBOX better!!!

I get a great picture at the moment with my plasma so

I'm not really missing it as I've never had it so wondered

if I should go ahead.

Would get the free box and it would cost 'another'

£10 a month.

Doesn't sound a lot but when you add up all the 'it's only another tenner' etc

I like my cycling which I get a lot of on Eurosport. I've noticed a big difference on HD with the sport.

What I was wondering is that at the moment I'm happy with my picture but if I then watch some

channels on HD then go back to channels that aren't in HD, with a think the picture isn't good

even though I was happy with it before?

Yes, definitely get Sky HD. However, you might want to do a bit of research into the box manufacturers. There is Pace, Thomson, Amstrad and Samsung. I've had my Sjy HD for a year now and things will probably have changed since then but when I was looking to order HD the boxes to get were Pace and Samsung.

I even heard it suggested that when the engineer calls you in the morning to give you a rough time for the install later that day you should tell him not to bother if he's only got Amstrad and Thomson boxes on the van.

As I say, things change so this may no longer be the case. I have a samsung box and it's been reasonably ok. Not perfect, but not bad enough to make me want to take a hammer to it.

Remember as well it's not just the picture thats better, the sound is too so you only really get the benefit (in my opinion) if you have a decent surround sound setup attached to your telly/amp.

Some HD channels are a bit hit-and-miss quality-wise too. The english premiership games on Sky are pretty good, as is the Discovery HD channels. BBC HD is pretty good too. If only they showed the Formula 1 coverage was in HD!

Thanks for the replies folks.

How have you found SD on your box?

I read over on AV Forums about people saying that their SD picture quality wasn't as good after going

with HD because you use an HDMI cable rather than a SCART?

I was wondering if they were being picky because on that forum there are a lot of folk who are REALLY

into their tv etc etc and would probably notice things I wouldn't!

Richie - have you tried phoning up and saying you're thinking of leaving?

You'll get a sweetner I imagine.

But yes - I refuse to watch things in "council definition" any more.

They tried to give me cheap movies, but I don't get to watch

any so not worth it to me.

Haven't tried the cancelling thing.

What are your thoughts on SD via the HD box Stephen?

Is it HDMI only or can you stick with SCART?

Think I'd rather not have HD if it was to the detriment

of the SD (the majority) channels.

What are your thoughts on SD via the HD box Stephen?

Is it HDMI only or can you stick with SCART?

Think I'd rather not have HD if it was to the detriment

of the SD (the majority) channels.

I don't have an HDTV, so my HD box is just connected via SCART! SD only channels with no HD sub, so just like a Sky+ box really, but have the option to upgrade to HD in the future!

You can still watch all the SD channels via the HDMI connector too. Most HDTV's will upscale the SD picture so you seem to get a better picture quality even with the SD channels.

I had a Pace Sky+ box connected to my 42" LCD via Scart. I then got a Samsung HD box connected to the same TV through HDMI. I would say that the SD picture is slightly worse through HDMI - noticeable on the day I switched boxes but soon forgotten about.

Edited by oobster

Worth the extra £10 but it is + £10 per subscription though! We have sky HD in the living room, sky HD in the bedroom and Sky + in the kitchen and they wanted £10 each box extra robbin chunts if you ask me

Sky HD get it ;)

Edited by StrikE