Track Car

I'm after a bit of advise on turning my scoob into a track car. I decided to sorn it a few weeks ago and have bought a van to run just now.

What are the rules about putting a car on the track, does it need to be mot'd or insured?

I don't intend going daft modding it to the max but figured my brakes would be the most important item, so will the standard 4 pots be up to the job?

I've never been on a track day but really fancy trying this, just want to do it as cheaply as possible and see how it goes. Just wish i was ready to go so i could've done John's novice day tomorrow.

Thanks

Kev

I started building a track car about 5 years ago. We are now doing our second year of time attack. So be carefull. It can be addictive!

If you don't have an mot circuits will just scrutineer the car for you to make sure it's safe.

The most important things are suspension and brakes. Get these right and it will be lots of fun. A pair of second hand coilovers and a geo setup should help things. Possibly some stiffer roll bars will help too. The standard brakes are not great but can be made better with decent pads and uprated fluid. If you have the Subaru 4 pots then it's well worth the money to upgrade to brembo's.

Learn to drive the wheels off the car with the standard power and upgrade everything else before you go modding the engine. Although, a remap from andy Forrest is never a bad thing. This will make you a much better driver on the long run. It starts to get expensive when you start modding the engine and the supporting mods.

If you need to know anything just pm me. I could go on forever on this subject but just on the iPhone

Scott

Your best bet is to probably just go on the track as is. You will soon realise what you need

Best place to start is probably to make the car as light as possible removing spare wheel and door cards, stereos, speakers and so on.

Im building my car with the logic that double the standard power with all the best of suspension and brakes is the way forward. Also fitting a cage incase it all goes wrong :( which is hopefully won't

What are the rules about putting a car on the track, does it need to be mot'd or insured?

Kev, neither of mine were MOT'd, just of a good standard and safe.

As said above, lightness is the key, loose EVERYTHING thats not essential and then loose some more ...

If you need any help just give me a shout, happy to help with some spannering / unbolting :P

Daz