Apple - Redefining Standards

Genius (a definition):

1.an exceptional natural capacity of intellect, especially as shown in creative and original work in science, art, music,etc.

2. a person having such capacity.

I have cracked the back of my iPhone, so I thought I’d call the Apple store in Glasgow to price a repair. The call went something like this:

Me: Hi there, I was wondering if you could help. You see, I have cracked the back of my phone and I was wondering if I could price and organise a repair.

Assistant: You will have to make an appointment to see a “Genius” to have your phone replaced, that will be £139

Me: A Genius? To replace me phone? But its only a little crack, around half inch in length, can’t the back simply be replaced?

Assistant: No, we can’t do that, you will have to have the phone replaced by the “Genius” and its £139.

Me: What? A genius? To replace a phone that has minor damage? Can’t I just have it fixed?

Assistant: No, sorry, it has to be replaced by the “Genius”

It takes a genius to replace a phone? Can you believe that crap!!!? A trained monkey could replace the back, let alone a genius to swap a phone! What an absolute farce!

Anyway, does anyone know where I can get a new back for my 3Gs 16GB phone?

Thanks!

JW

I've always though the genius bar was a particularly pathetic name - it's just customer services ffs!

I split mine in two t'other week - simple fix but there's tabs that indicate damage/a drop in three places (look down the headphone socket - may be red?!?) but they can be reset easily enough. Best bet for the back case would be eBay.

I've always though the genius bar was a particularly pathetic name - it's just customer services ffs!

I split mine in two t'other week - simple fix but there's tabs that indicate damage/a drop in three places (look down the headphone socket - may be red?!?) but they can be reset easily enough. Best bet for the back case would be eBay.

Thanks mate :D

I think you missed the point of the post Stephen. I wasn't putting down Apple's customer care, I was questioning the need for a "Genius" to swap a phone. A genius is the sort of person who invents things, like jet engines and other mega stuff. I just think their store staff are inappropriately named; talk about dumbing-down.

That was my point John - there's a LOT of people in this world with Job titles that go far beyond what they actually do.

Does a train really require a "customer services manager"? At least on there they refer to the driver as "the driver" and not the "operational control vectoring supervisor" or something similar.

Should sign that off too as "Stephen Hynds, Analyst Developer" (I have no idea what it means either).