Who Has Tracker Or Similar!?

Having installed Tracker when I worked at Audi, I decided to stick one in my car. Beforing buying I decided to check my insurance and Elephant were lovely in letting me know that it would be an extra £145 on top of my premium.

WHAT!?!?!

So armed with this knowledge I w had a look on some comparison sites, low and BEHOLD??

More expensive!! Whats the deal with that?! I will never understand insurance companies as long as I live!

I seem to remember someone going on about this earlier in the week IIRC, a few people have mentioned it... I'm honestly shocked that an extra security device will cost you extra in your premiums, especially when I've encountered a couple of companies that wouldn't insure me without one (they never got my business in the end...)

I asked if my premium would come down with my Tracker on and was told "no", it would just be the same.

My car is parked in the street and I am currently turning my garden into a drive (car park dings are freaking me out!). The premium goes up when you change it to "drive" on the comparison sites!!!!!????

Who knows?

It must depend on other factors. If you park on the street then you probably default to the highest premium for theft. If you park in a private car park then that would maybe give you a low premium for theft then the tracker would make that even lower. There are probably some postcodes that are expensive no matter what.

I was quoted a £50 reduction if i actuivated mine but that would cost me £120 to do for a year so it is not worth it. Crazy really.

• 4 weeks later...
It must depend on other factors. If you park on the street then you probably default to the highest premium for theft. If you park in a private car park then that would maybe give you a low premium for theft then the tracker would make that even lower. There are probably some postcodes that are expensive no matter what.

I was quoted a £50 reduction if i actuivated mine but that would cost me £120 to do for a year so it is not worth it. Crazy really.

trackers are pish , all you need to do is disconnect battery then tow car away then spend 30 mins finding tracker, rip it out then reconnect battery and enjoy your stolen car , insurance companys know its that easy so they dont offer a reduction anymore , with my tracker the ****s can never find you when you ask for a track or they have your tracker number against someone elses address , traffic master are shiiiiiiiittttt

I always get asked when I declare the model (WRX PPP): "Which tracker have you got?". I always ask what the discount is, always told "none". Tracker for whose benefit exactly?

They also ask: "Where is the car kept?". I keep mine in the garage but always ask for a quote for the drive too. Always the same. So why is it important to know where the car is kept? If the premium doesn't change then the risk must be the same? Surely?

While I'm moaning: why does renewal go up 25% every year? Why do I have to get an internet quote from the same company only to have to phone them and ask them to match it? Which they do after pointing out that I have to cancel my old policy. New customers only Sir. Every year, same story. Happened with two insurers, different groups, numerous times.

And another thing: why is it when I take out temporary cover for a loan car (when servicing) am I charged £15? Is it to cover the postage and printing of the 4 letters I get next day to tell me about a change in my policy which is copied to the joint policy holder aka the wife?

Insure car or a week at Legoland? Tough call.

Fumes.

Because we have to cover the ever increasing amount of tw@ts who don`t bother with stupid things like insurance......also, tax and MOT`s!!!!! :D

Agreed ... to an extent ... that being if you phone them it goes back down again !!!

I put it to you that they're profiteering off the punters who accept renewal quotes without question.