Hi guys.

I should hopefully be the owner of a red 97 impreza sport, 2litre non turbo, come the weekend.

Just have a few questions regarding the model really:

1) What sort of mpg can I expect from the car?

2) What sort of performance figures does it produce?

All help appreciated!

Welcome to the family :rotfl:

the 'book stats' for a sport are:

116 @ 5600 for your bhp

118 mph

and apx 30 mpg average - bit of cruising, bit of stoppy-start.

Take all the above with a pinch of salt mind you, on rolling road tests they come up with higher bhp, i have info too (cough :rotfl: ) that they can reach 130mph.

Also depends on what the car has mod wise, some add and some reduce output. Great car though.

Enjoy

:rotfl: Kylie

I was under the impression that the power output was around 160-170bhp.

What things should I be looking out for when viewing the car?

Sorry mate no way that bhp - and when looking just usual stuff really, mileage, service history, previous owners - fewer the better, modifications?, equal headers / exhaust changes - cat etc...? induction kit? what state cv joints? clutch OK? cambelt alright? underside of car ok?

And most improtant, how does it drive?

Dont let the bhp put you off, ive got 2 of these and absolutely love them :rotfl:

Okie doke.

What's the 0-60 time like?

The one I'm viewing has been lowered and has an aftermarket exhaust on, unsure of the brand though.

0-60? erm...alright for a n/a car, they do have good torque which obviously helps, but if you are expecting to leave all else in your rear view mirror and eating your dust off the lights then best save up for a turbo.

Saying that tho, if the track (cough :rotfl: ) is a bit twisty then you will keep up with most Imprezas regardless of model

Check the headers too, standard equal will NOT give you the distinctive scooby burble, you will need unequals ( sometimes referred to as a borla)

hope this helps.

0-60? erm...alright for a n/a car, they do have good torque which obviously helps, but if you are expecting to leave all else in your rear view mirror and eating your dust off the lights then best save up for a turbo.

Saying that tho, if the track (cough :rotfl: ) is a bit twisty then you will keep up with most Imprezas regardless of model

Check the headers too, standard equal will NOT give you the distinctive scooby burble, you will need unequals ( sometimes referred to as a borla)

hope this helps.

But unequal headers will loose you some of those precious horses... a good compromised is a centre decat and an Afterburner Vortex back box - more burble and no lost horses! :rotfl:

It's the twisties where scoobs of all shapes and sizes come into their own, turbo and no turbo models alike! I've given big power scoobs and evos a run for their money on a sprint track in my (then) completely standard newage sport. :rotfl:

Edited by stum450n
Hi guys.

I should hopefully be the owner of a red 97 impreza sport, 2litre non turbo, come the weekend.

Just have a few questions regarding the model really:

1) What sort of mpg can I expect from the car?

2) What sort of performance figures does it produce?

All help appreciated!

I get 33MPG average with the wife's (MY00 sport, standard apart from stainless exhaust), which is a damn sight better than my turbo! Performance wise it's not a patch on the turbo, but also not slow. Lots of low end torque but you don't get much power at the top end (it always feels like it's waiting for a turbo to spool up...). Much more responsive throttle than a turbo at low revs too, so much easier to drive in town in my opinion. Max power is 125BHP as standard for the facelift models I think.

Usual things to look out for as people have said - clutch, even tyre wear, etc. Also the front window seals can be less than handy if the rubber is perished (gives you wind noise right in your ear), and they often get through wheel bearings frighteningly quickly so make sure there isn't any droning coming from the back at speed (if you can hear it over the exhaust).

Good luck!

Matt